probably a noob question

Started by
7 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 2 months ago
I've been programming on my game and the games still kinda buggy anyways, i rearranged and rewrote a lot of the code but and to me idealy it looks fine, it's compiles error free too, however the games window will pop up then i get an error message saying the games f*cked uo or something. I dont know how to rememdy this problem, it complies fine, how can i find out whats f*cking up my game?? Thx Nelson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Email: [email=zike22@aol.com]zike22@aol.com[/email] - My AIM: zike22@AIM
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind." - The Emperor, WarHammer 40K
Advertisement
First of all an error message might help, or some code....
I would get my hands on a debugger and line by line see where my [null reference?] errors are.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Quote:Original post by zike22
...i get an error message saying the games f*cked uo or something.
Interesting error message :-)

Seriously though, if you want help, provide as much information as you can. For example, what platform and/or APIs you're using, what the error message actually says, and anything else you think might be relevant.
Well, the way you asked it was "noobish"

The problem itself could be either a very simple error, or a complex memory leak of some sort.

As others said, grab a debugger and check it out.

Without nearly enough information I can say it's most likely you've got an array going out of bounds or a pointer trying to access unallocated memory.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Yea sorry about that, at least i know for next time.

So there is no error the game conpiles fine, however the error i recive from the app onced compiled is from windows, one of their standard "this program f*cked up", here's a pic.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Some info: dev-c++, coded in c++, allegro lib, mappy, mappyal lib,fmod audio lib.

I've never used a debugger, I've notice one on dev-c++, can some one fill me in.

sorry about before, thx
nelson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Email: [email=zike22@aol.com]zike22@aol.com[/email] - My AIM: zike22@AIM
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind." - The Emperor, WarHammer 40K
need a debugger for that one some times the report provides info about where the program went wrong.
Bring more Pain
thx, ill look into it seems that you all agress debugger is the way to go, thx for your help
Click on "See what data this error report contains". It's mostly just a bunch of hexadecimal-memory exception stuff, but someone here might be able to decipher it, or it may point you in the right direction.
BTW, I've had this problem when I didn't have all of my graphics and sound files in the same folder as the game when it started, and if that's the case and your game doesn't have any built in error handling, this is the message you'll get, so check to make sure all of your files are together (longest sentence I've ever posted on GDNet :) ).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement