Im a complete noob

Started by
11 comments, last by bschneid 18 years, 2 months ago
I have completed the hello world program and what should i start next
Advertisement
oh and im using bloodshed dev-c++
Welcome to Gamedev. Just get comfortable with C++. I suggest the tutorials at www.cprogramming.com if you need them. After you get a little more experience make small text based games like guess the number type games. It will take a lot of hard work to learn to program but pays off in the end.

P.S. You will be taken more seriously if you use correct punctuation / grammar. And when making a post be more detailed at what you need and what you already know. It will be easier to guide you if you tell us what resources you have access to and if there are any specific areas you need help on.

One more thing to add: practice putting text input, output and making variables since they are very important to know in creating any program.
Happy programming

EDIT: I missed that bschneid.

[Edited by - xtremeprog05 on January 29, 2006 10:18:01 AM]

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
Also get the book Beginning C++ Game Programming my Michael Dawson.. its a book that will accelorate your learning time by a TON... also i have aim so if you need help PLEASE feel free to message me at willthiswork89 im ALWAYS willing to help a new kid
Hey congratulations on compiling your Hello World app. I started by looking at the examples that came with dev-cpp they also have a game called Jackpot which would be good to look at. Goodluck on your programming journey.
Quote:Original post by xtremeprog05
correct punctuation / grammer.

Every single time. It never fails.
cool, i would suggest to all new programmers to learn C as well. This will allow you to see the main difference and not what a book might say in a apragraph or two.

From experience, i learned C first, then c++. while it is not a requirement, i have seen students that i tutor mention the same methodology of C then C++.
C++ has a few dark aspects you'll never see in C, and like the above posts have mentioned, try to get a really easy book that shows input, output, files ...
these basics go along way. it might sound dry to mention to: learn the english description of C++, then look at the code, but this might lay out some ground rules for you to see the object design and why its an object design ...

If you prefer to concentrate on C++, then get familiar with object oriented programming/design first, ... classes and what-not. This general topic will show you why C++ is 'C with classes', as Bjarne Straustrup put it.

if you're looking for a challenge when you're ready to start programming the check this website out, its an archive of thousands of variety of challenges that range from easy to insane. a great eye opener to let you in on whats expected eventually of a good programmer:
http://acm.uva.es/problemset/

have fun, and never get discouraged

[]wildem[]
I learnt C first also.

But I'm not sure I can recommend learning it if C++ is what you want. Using plain C teaches you some bad habits that might be tough to break when you move onto the object-oriented side later.
Quote:Original post by willthiswork89
Also get the book Beginning C++ Game Programming my Michael Dawson.. its a book that will accelorate your learning time by a TON... also i have aim so if you need help PLEASE feel free to message me at willthiswork89 im ALWAYS willing to help a new kid

Thank you. Also that very book is on my desk right now.
Quote:Original post by cNoob
Hey congratulations on compiling your Hello World app. I started by looking at the examples that came with dev-cpp they also have a game called Jackpot which would be good to look at. Goodluck on your programming journey.

I find it funny how you say the FIRST thing you did was look at the examples. I remember when i first looked at those games a little bit after i learned the hello world program and a few others, those example apps still made absolutely no sense to me. You have to remember, hello world is his first and only c++ experience, he won't know what a variable can be used for, how to add/subtract.. etc. Simple things like that aren't easy when you are just beggining.
Hello?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement