VC++ 2005 Express and DIrectX 9 SDK

Started by
2 comments, last by Aesthir 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, I am a newbie, esxpicaly with DirectX9. In fact I know next to nothing. I have Jonathn Harbour's book "Begining Game Program" and am try to get things to work. My first problem was that I was using NS VC++ 6.0 which appearently isn't compatible with DX9.0c. I then downloaded VC++ 2005 Express, the Platform SDK and have installed both. I have the DX9 SDK in a different path, but have used the "Tools/Options/VC++ Directories" to add the appropriate path. Now that I have done that, it finds d3d9.h, but I now get a fatal error stating that it can't find Stdlib.h. The error message is listed below. Error 1 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'stdlib.h': No such file or directory h:\c++\microsoft visual studio\microsoft directx sdk (december 2005)\include\d3d9.h 37 I have searched my drive, and I do have the header file "stdlib.h:, but it is in a different directory than d3d9.h Is it getting lost and not getting back to where the Platform SDK Include directory is located at? Any help will be greatly appreciated! TIA Nathan
Advertisement
Are you sure you set up the platform SDK up correfctly? There is a tutorial on the MS site somewhere about it...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo
Are you sure you set up the platform SDK up correfctly? There is a tutorial on the MS site somewhere about it...

Pretty sure I did, or at least for the Platform SDK. The DIrectX 9 SDK, i just setup on my own.

Also, since my first post I have solved the problem somewhat by adding the specific directory of VC\Include AFTER my pointer to the DX9 SDK include directory. This seemed to solve most of my problems. I also had to =change the original source code to deal with Unicode (added the _T macro - about which I know nothing about).

IF anyone knows the correct solution to the original problem, I would realy like to know what it is.

Now another problem. It runs through the commplie but I now get an error message stateing

Error 3 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate9@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl Game_Init(struct HWND__ *)" (?Game_Init@@YAHPAUHWND__@@@Z) d3dwin.obj

Now, for this I have NO IDEAL where to start, and if it is a Direct X issue, or just a normal program/build issue.

Any help??

Thanks,

Sounds like you need to add the libraries to the linker options.
In the project properties (make sure Configuration is All Configurations) go to Linker->Input and add the following to "Additional Dependencies":

d3d9.lib d3dx9.lib

And I don't totally understand what you've done regarding your first problem, but it sounds to me like you have the right solution. If you're passed the error, I'm sure it's fine.

Hope that helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement