Cloud rendering ideas

Started by
5 comments, last by JavaCoolDude 18 years, 2 months ago
I'm interested in comments (I know, I know, risky here, but I'm game) and suggestions RE: new cloud rendering ideas. Go easy, it's my first attempt. What's it missing (other than atmospheric scattering of light), what does it need that has not been done before? How can I improve it?
Advertisement
First of all,
good job! I wish I could do something like hat. Lamely enough my programming doesnt exceed textures :(
But to your clouds, i think what is missing is some volume. then i think it would also depend what kind of game you wanna write. is it a flying game where you actually fly through the clouds? or do you "just" wanna have a nice sky box. If you want to fly through them I think you also would need to group them more together. Aktually as far as I know there dozens of different cloud types, I think what you have is some cirrus kind of cloud, only occuring in high altitudes.
But none the less I wish I could do something like that
keep up da work
cherio Woltan
Someone is using my demo =P
/Does the happy dance.
I like Option A, I do agree with Woltan, the clouds could use some volume,shading and such to make the more '3dish' if you wish to improve upon them, but I belive that they are decent enough to work quite well in most games. a lot of comercial games (one that dont use skyboxes of prerenders and such) usually dont look that nice. It might be nothing, or the res you rendered it at but I see a small 'pixilated' ness, its not bad, prolly must my over keen sight and over criticle way. same reason low qual jpegs bug me XD, any way, looks nice, good job.

I seek knowledge and to help others whom seek it
Quote:Original post by JavaCoolDude
/Does the happy dance.

Where's your demo? Are you the dude over at nVidia? "Java"CoolDude that programs in C/C++? Interesting.
Quote:Original post by AlgorithmX2
I like Option A, I do agree with Woltan, the clouds could use some volume,shading and such to make the more '3dish' if you wish to improve upon them, but I belive that they are decent enough to work quite well in most games. a lot of comercial games (one that dont use skyboxes of prerenders and such) usually dont look that nice. It might be nothing, or the res you rendered it at but I see a small 'pixilated' ness, its not bad, prolly must my over keen sight and over criticle way. same reason low qual jpegs bug me XD, any way, looks nice, good job.

Yeah, I noticed pixilatedness too. Bugging me too, so I'm working on it. Anyway the texture is a dynamic generated perlin noise patch - and not loaded in from disk, jpeg (2000) format or otherwise.
Quote:Original post by sjf
Quote:Original post by JavaCoolDude
/Does the happy dance.

Where's your demo? Are you the dude over at nVidia? "Java"CoolDude that programs in C/C++? Interesting.

Yup ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement