.net and linux

Started by
5 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 2 months ago
hi guys i wanna know if it is possible to install visual studio.net on linux platform and if it is not i think that i should use PHP to make websites so do u know and good tutorials to start with ??? thanks in advance
Advertisement
A Good PHP Tutorial

And VS.Net's runtime is possible to install (from what I hear), but the actual development environment is not. I would vastly recommend PHP to the beginner, since PHP is practically the standard in server-side scripts these days.

If you don't like PHP, however, look into Ruby, I've heard lots of good things about it, and it might be more to your liking.

Good Luck.
As far as I know, it might be possible to install Visual Studio .NET on linux by using WINE. With that said, I have no experience using WINE, so hopefully someone else will know more details =).
WINE does not run any .NET code now, and probably never will. That is the domain of the Mono project. At some point in the future, it may be possible to transparently switch between wine(win32) and mono(.net) as needed. I don't know the internals of visual studio, but my guess is it's a combo of old win32 code and new .NET code.

So you can try running VS.NET on mono on linux. But given that VS.NET is very sensitive to even the particular version of the microsoft .net runtime, I would say it's unlikely it will run well if at all on mono.
I don't think Visual Studio is purely written in .NET, so it is unlikely to run on Mono at all.
Quote:Original post by etothex
WINE does not run any .NET code now, and probably never will. That is the domain of the Mono project.

Well, as long as the .NET runtimes shipped by Microsoft are layered on top of regular Win32 API calls WINE should run with the MS runtimes (in theory) - whether it will work it another matter. Lots of games I have don't work on WINE, but then lots of them don't work on current Windows versions either.
Here's my response to your question.
Note that cross-posting is frowned upon here ;)
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement