Sign in to follow this  

Tools Needed? (Btw new to forums :D)

This topic is 4338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, been here a few times browsing the forums for abit, so i decided to make a username and join in with the fun :D. Anyway, for me, iam a web designer, well, i know enough to make a good layout, then get it into dreamweaver, and i concider myself an as intermediate as off making websites are concerned. Basically, i want to bring my knowledge up a knoch, for me and my mates, we love creating games as in storys, the basic baby steps on paper and organization and so on, we have had a couple of games that we created, mainly forum based (what went fairly well for a forum based game to be honest), but anyway, we want to go further and start creating browser text type games like, 1000ad, earth 2025, those kind of games, not fully graphical instense etc. So what i ask is, what do i need, what kind of scripting do i have to learn, and what tools (programs) will i have to get. What i got now is: Photoshop 7 Dreamweaver Like i said before, i know how to create a webite as in, get web templates going, adding some "special" stuff towards it from the presets that DW has to offer, but the coding part i want to learn, just need to know what kind would be best to learn, for game design. I thank you in advance for your advice. Regards, Skitz PS. Could you also recommend some good sites from where to learn from aswell if thats possible :). Thx!

Do you know PHP? It makes website more dynamically, write a variable from a database on the site, like how much gold you have for example. Learn it. And to make good use of it you should probably have a database, MySQL for example.

Go check 'em out. I maybe should add that I dont know or use this stuff myself, I have friends who do (thats why I know this) but I will probably not be able to give more help than this.

Good luck with your project! [smile]

For dynamic games such as those text based games you obviously need to store a lot of data in databases. I recommend MySQL for this as it's fast, reliable, extremely compatible, simple and there are thousands of tools for it. Alongside MySQL I recommend the PHP web-coding language to access these databases. PHP runs on Linux, but I think there may also be a Win32 port although I'm not too sure on that one.

Best of luck to you :-)!

This topic is 4338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.