Sign in to follow this  

NeHe (aka jeff)

This topic is 4335 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok then i havent been much of an active user here, but i have learnt alot from NeHe's site and the forums. Just recently i looked on nehe's account just out of curiosity and had a look at some of the posts he's made. And i can empathise for him, and his decision to give up the site for now. And i have rea that he was very displeased with the community these past few years, please tell me were still not like this. Personally i have had no problem with the peaple here, but it shocked me he would say that, and this has made me realise why he didnt use these forums. I do know of his sistuation with relatives dyeing, a crappy house and all. But he has worked long and hard over this site, and while i dont blame anyone its just sad to see his posts about the communities attitude towards him. However on a good note i was filled with joy and a sense of community when many of you volunteered to help with his financial issues, i wish i could of helped but i dont have a paypal account or any money, and buying a cd seemed like it would of made matters worse. Ok im sorry but this was kind of a rant, i hadnt read his posts before and i felt a confused, so freel flame/counter-rant as you will. I just hope he is living happily somewhere nice with a good job, cause he damn well deserves it.

The forum and the community he build up are a real hobby for me.
One of the first things I did when I got paypal was to send him a little donation. I later knew the site was aquired from GameDev... I wonder if he got it!

Jeff was a great guy, and did try his best to make this site work, I think GameDev will bring it back to what Jeff had it (with frequent updates) - but needs some more time, or someone to step up and focus on just this site.

As for Jeff leaving, I think he just got burnt out - he had a really rough streach with his family's health problems, his job, his longtime g/friend leaving him, and of cource people on the board that complained when he didn't anwser e-mails within a day.

Jeff needed some time off - hopefully he will be back again someday - as he had real talent for teaching this stuff. But I can definitly understand that dealing with ungrateful people on here (though I think most members were grateful) - would have soured him to the point where he just wanted to give this site up.

Sad story - he was a great coder for an IT guy :)

Roach

Quote:
Original post by RoachBut I can definitly understand that dealing with ungrateful people on here (though I think most members were grateful)

We must remember that the onus is on us to maintain what Jeff has started, independent of whom ever runs the site.

It'd be great if the site were re-made as a semi-restricted Wiki. I say "semi-restircted" because articles should be restricted to accounts that can be traced back to actual people. Accountability is a good thing. It is sad to see him go, I learned from NeHe too. It's never been too fun to navigate, but the content was awesome.

Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
It'd be great if the site were re-made as a semi-restricted Wiki. I say "semi-restircted" because articles should be restricted to accounts that can be traced back to actual people. Accountability is a good thing. It is sad to see him go, I learned from NeHe too. It's never been too fun to navigate, but the content was awesome.

That's it. Open Source Nehe. I have a name for it: OZONE (Open Zource Nehe) Voilà!

I really never knew who was the guy running nehe, but I gotta give thanks to him for all his work. I wish him all the peace he needs and specially the love (the real one!)

Making the site a wiki may be going a bit too far. I personally like the layout of the site and I know nehe went through a lot of trouble to develop it; I think any major changes to layout may just end up annoying people.

I do however agree that a community run approach would be best, preferably with more than one moderator. Perhaps gamedev could distribute moderator accounts to trusted members of the community? Of course, with this type of system, issues like who is trusted and what rights they posses must be clearly defined before any accounts are distributed. We would essentially need a site constitution.

Quote:
Original post by Roach
Jeff was a great guy, and did try his best to make this site work...

Well, I hope he still is ;)
By the way, have you ever tried writing a tutorial? I did for auto mipmap gen and multitexturing. Then I wanted to add this and that and then... everything was a mudball and I trashed it. Doing tutorials is really hard, I understand why he got off it!
Quote:

Although I understand why this wiki thing is so much mentioned, I'm not sure a wiki would be a good thing. The basic issue is the actual search method (I often end up using google) and redoundancy. I would rather consider a special wiki category in the original wikipedia. That way, the wiki idea of a "complete enciclopedia" would respected.
Quote:
Original post by owl
That's it. Open Source Nehe. I have a name for it: OZONE (Open Zource Nehe) Voilà!

Unluckly, ozone is rather toxic by itself ;)

Quote:
It'd be great if the site were re-made as a semi-restricted Wiki.

Yes thats seem a good idea but a wiki may be a bit too far, do you think that if enough members voted, we could get a function where users can manually upload an article onto nehe's site, i like this idea because i knew someone who got fed up with gamedev because he sent a tutoril for them and its never been uploaded onto the site, so hes now starting a new site.

Hmm, wonder who down rated me. Anyway, the layout may have taken time to develop but that doesn't mean that improvements aren't possible. It does work, but it could be made more intuitive and organized.

I personally would love to work on making NeHe easier to navigate, and I'm sure that many on GameDev would be interesting the in the task as well. Unfortunately I would not be available for such work until 2007 when I return from deployment. Once I do return, I would love to be involved in such a project. Of course, I'd work for free and a little (small) spot with my name on it stating that I contributed [smile]

I just want to be able to search through articles quickly to find what I want, and I love the idea of letting GameDev members add to NeHe.

Quote:
Original post by Krohm
By the way, did you get a contact with GameDev staff (although I believe moderators may be watching this)?

I've been keeping an eye on it, was there something in particular you wanted brought to the staff's attention?

To give you guys a bit of an update, I can tell you that details are being sorted out at the moment to get the site up and running properly again, so you should hopefully see some action some time reasonably soon. Keep in mind that there's a lot to be sorted out and everything takes time though.

[Edited by - Kazgoroth on February 1, 2006 8:07:00 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:
Original post by Krohm
By the way, did you get a contact with GameDev staff (although I believe moderators may be watching this)?

I've been keeping an eye on it, was there something in particular you wanted brought to the staff's attention?

My apologies, I didn't want to point out something, just to tell him he should consider contacting you and your collagues.

This topic is 4335 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.