Sign in to follow this  

Visual C++ 2005 Pro Compiler

This topic is 4342 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got my program running under Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. Its a great tool, as its helped me find 5 or 10 bugs that I didn't know about. Anyway I've got the release build working but the scrolling is much slower than before. I remember seeing someone mention that the compiler with Express isn't as good at optimisation as the professional one. However the guy said you can download the pro compiler from Microsoft free and drop it into Express. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get it or what it is called?

I'm pretty sure that the Express editions of Visual Studio 2005 feature the same optimising compiler as the Professional and above versions. You download the Visual Studio 2K3 professional compiler/linker as a stand-alone set of applications without the ID from here.

EDIT: here's the page from MSDN which confirms that the Express editions does feature the same optimising compiler.

I really *really* doubt this is the reason of why "scrolling is slow". As you can see here, Express uses the same optimizing compiler as every other edition. It says that there is some advanced optimizing features like profile guided optimization that is available only on Pro, but in any case the compiler you're using now isn't worse that the one you used before(VC++ 5.0 as I see from your posts).

It's not a good practice when you have a problem to try to find the easy way out and blame it on the compiler(or the drivers,or the OS, or the...). Most certainly there is some piece of code or some settings in your project that is causing the slowdown, and for some reason it worked on your previous compiler. It's really hard to say without looking at the code.

If you own an AMD, you might try CodeAnalyst to profile
your app - it's pretty easy to setup.

For intel there is Vtune, but it's not for free..
And imo every version above 3.x was a pita to setup.
Maybe they improved it with version 7.x..

Guest Anonymous Poster
The slowdown was quite pronounced and I remember reading a post about a pro compiler you could drop into the free one. I had another search around last night and it turns out the pro compiler was for the VC++ 2003 Toolkit.

This topic is 4342 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.