XBOX!!!!

Started by
63 comments, last by GaMeStA 23 years, 2 months ago
Why is MS going to use the Pentium3 for the CPU? Its crazy, the pentium is stuck with loads of old instructions from the days of the original 8086... how many instructions does the CPU have now, over 200... mostly useless ones that tie down the system...

MS get with the times! A new games machine should start fresh as like the Sony PS2, or is the plan that the XBox is going to be compatible with DirectX on the PC? ...

Wasnt Intel creating a new generation 64Bit RISC CPU a while ago? Surely there is an Intel RISC CPU lurking....any RISC CPU is better than an x86 CPU if its "designed" for its environment...

The nVidia GPU is Intel dependant isnt it? Maybe thats why they must have the Pentium CPU?

50Bucks says the Sony PS2 will have better games and will be better than the XBox because of the intel base...

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
quote:Original post by SikCiv

MS get with the times! A new games machine should start fresh as like the Sony PS2, or is the plan that the XBox is going to be compatible with DirectX on the PC? ...

Jeez, you people think newer==better? Hardly. Newer==less tested==potentially unstable and unreliable==low production==bad PR==crappy sales. Newer hardware needs maturation time, and forcing developers to absorb the brunt of that is idiocy. These are the people that make the games, and forcing them to micromanage is one step closer to Chapter 11.

Programming assembly on a platform that has poor development tools sucks. Period.

If you enjoy that, either you''re a demo coder or a masochist. Either way, I don''t want you writing games. I''d rather you spend time on the content rather than the delivery.

quote:Original post by SikCiv

50Bucks says the Sony PS2 will have better games and will be better than the XBox because of the intel base...

I''ll take that bet.

MSN
Another prime objective besides speed and memory is that of keeping the cost down. What''s the point of making the fastest machine if no one can afford it? But they could have sacrificed a little speed for more texture memory, possibly. But I''m sure they had to have weighed out all the pros and cons of each and they believe that they made the best possible decision at the time so that''s what we have to deal with.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
To address the VRAM issue…

Do I think Sony made a mistake with only 4Mb of VRAM? Of course I do.

Do I think it’s a waste of processing power to download textures on the fly? Absolutely!

The problem is though, there’s nothing we can do about it now so we have to work with what we’ve got. It’s a pity Sony didn’t speak with any developers outside of Japan regards the PS2 hardware design, but then again, Microsoft didn’t talk to anyone regards the Xbox’s design. That being said, I believe the Xbox’s unified memory is certainly a better design than the PS2’s.

The problem with the PS2’s VRAM is that it’s on-board the GS, (actually built onto the chip as cache ram is on many CPU’s). Because of this, the GS VRAM runs at an amazing rate, but the downside is that adding any more RAM would have cost them a fortune per chip. Personally, I would have rather had slower, but cheaper VRAM off board the chip so they could have included more.

It’s a mistake. I think PS2 games will never look as good as Xbox… at least on a monitor instead of a TV.

---Strange

---Strange
Well, I doubt the PS2 will ever be able to match the X-Box in terms of texture quality... if some wicked X-Box developer had enough spare time to port a PS2 game to X-Box, he could use 32mb for storing data just like on the PS2, 2mb for the frame buffer, and use the 30mb left for textures... with a 6:1 texture compression ratio (even though I can hardly believe S3TC can achieve that... on a uniform texture maybe ? lol), that would give something like 180mb of textures instead of 2mb... along with single-pass multi-texturing, that could give an interesting result for sure...

But well, if you repetitively use large textures along with multi-texturing and (very) clever design, I''m pretty sure you can reduce the difference between the X-Box and PS2... games like Tekken Tag Tournament are just nearly perfect graphics-wise, I can''t see what 178mb of textures could _fundamentally_ improve here. But well, back in the first PSX days, I remember finding Ridge Racer almost perfect, if it wasn''t for the lack of texture filtering, so... we''ll see what kind of improvements will bring the X-Box (and GameCube as well)...
---All you base are belong to us !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement