Sign in to follow this  

man like functionalty in windows

This topic is 4337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hahaha...that's a funny one...

wait...that question...were you...serious?

Only for DOS commands in the command prompt (e.x., CD and DIR and whatnot). You can type "help COMMAND" for most of the standard DOS commands. Some other command-line programs support the /? or /help switch, as well.

For anything relatively new, that has a GUI, you are going to have to rely on whatever documentation files (usualy .html or .chm or .txt) that came with the program.

Really, what kind of functionality did you expect? "Man right-click-on-a-desktop-icon"? It's either the help files, the tooltips that may appear when you hover the mouse over a GUI element, or that "?" button some dialogs have in their bar that you can use to get help about stuff inside the dialog.

nope i was looking for something like "man glBlendFunc" now in linux that wud hav given the complete function description of the function glBlenFunc. Is there something like that ... ofcourse there is MSDN that gives extensive help but that win32 api specific and its not free right?

Ooooh, you mean getting help about various API functions,not shell commands. I don't think there is such a thing. You can always work with MSDN online though.

Btw, does 'man glBlendFunc' in linux really gives a man page? I thought 'man' was just for Unix commands.

http://developer.3dlabs.com/documents/glmanpage_index.htm

typing MSDN glBlendFunc in the google bar on firefox works just like MAN glBlendFunc... it will bring up the msdn page for that function.

Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Ooooh, you mean getting help about various API functions,not shell commands. I don't think there is such a thing. You can always work with MSDN online though.

Btw, does 'man glBlendFunc' in linux really gives a man page? I thought 'man' was just for Unix commands.

yes mikeman .. it does .. have the libgl* libraries installed and it gives man for all gl function .. i think even the extensions help are there using man

Of course you must be aware that typing "man <something here>" into google brings up man pages anyway.

Not sure why you want them, though. The formatting that man uses is horrible. Stick to MSDN for the OGL 1.1 stuff, else hit up the relevant extension spec(s).

I remember in server 2003 (probably in other ms servers as well) there were newer shell commands that interfaced with the servers meta dbs, those had fairly extensive helps.. and they were newer than the archaic dir cd copy etc commands :P but yeah, those arent man pages either...

but theres no reason you couldnt have a man viewer in your windows (kind of forced the pun a bit). just something to parse and display the .man files. if it's not out there already (im SURE they have that in cygwin or mingw) it would probably not be too much work to write one.

Quote:
Original post by Libvan
Installing cygwin is your only hope :P

Yep, that's the first thing I do on any windows box actually. Bash alone is worth it as a much better way to get around on the command line. I'm not sure if additional libraries (like OGL) man files are installed though. You could always download them separately and put them in the proper directory I would think.

Quote:
Original post by eastcoastsurfer
Bash alone is worth it as a much better way to get around on the command line.
You should try the new MS shell. It compares to bash in much the same way that bash compares to the built in emulated DOS shell.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Original post by eastcoastsurfer
Bash alone is worth it as a much better way to get around on the command line.
You should try the new MS shell. It compares to bash in much the same way that bash compares to the built in emulated DOS shell.

I would but that would require to me upgrade from Win2k first...

I guess eventually I'll be forced to spend $150 on winxp pro.

This topic is 4337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.