Sign in to follow this  

embeding python into c++ and sys.displayhook

This topic is 4331 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i working on embeding python into my c++ engine. I'm using pyCXX library. I have a graphics console system which is actually python console and import new module extended by pyCXX. To get output from python i'm using simple redirecting stdout/stderr:
sys.old_stdout = sys.stdout
sys.old_stderr = sys.stderr

class my_stdout_writer:
   def write(self, text):
      engine_stdout(text)
   def __del__(self):
      sys.stdout = sys.old_stdout

... stderr is quite same...

and then simply:

sys.stdout = my_stdout_writer()
sys.stderr = my_stderr_writer()
so simple.. engine_stdout() is basic c++ extension from my app. everything works fine, except sys.displayhook which doesn't use my_stdout_writer (print dir() works but only dir() not) when i override sys.displayhook this way:
def my_displayhook(o):
   engine_stdout(o)

sys.displayhook = my_displayhook
it's seems that doesn't work. when i try it from python interpret (./python in xterm for example :)) it's ok. any advice where can be mistake please?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
sys.displayhook is only for the interactive interpreter - it shouldn't do anything when you have Python embedded as part of an application.

ok. it's clear. so is there any possible workaround?

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
What exactly are you trying to do, and under what circumstances does it not do it?

ok. simple example: python module has methods: run_command(string) and run_script(string). Graphics console input emit signal with commands into python module. run_command is implemented simple way:

if PyRun_SimpleString(str) {
if (PyErr_Occurred()) PyErr_Print();
}

so when i call run_command('print dir()') output of dir will get back through stdout back into my engine, but when i call run_command('dir()') it's not. I like to catch the output of command 'dir()' too. that's the problem. i don't want write print [something] into console all the time. hope it's clear description what i want :)

I think that's just part of the interpreter, automatically printing out the result of any expression you enter. I don't think you can get that from within your own programs unless you essentially duplicate the interpreter loop yourself.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I think that's just part of the interpreter, automatically printing out the result of any expression you enter. I don't think you can get that from within your own programs unless you essentially duplicate the interpreter loop yourself.

ok. thanks. i know only high-level api of python. i was trying find simple example at google how to duplicate the interpreter loop. do you know where can i find any hints how to do that please?

i have found quite simple solution:

void PythonModule::run_command(const std::string& command)
{
PyRun_SimpleString(command.c_str());
if (PyErr_Occured()) PyErr_Print();
}

void PythonModule::run_interactive_command(const std::string& command) // command from gfx console
{
this->run_command("try:\n"
" print eval(\"" + command + "\")\n"
"except SyntaxError:\n"
" " + command);
}

certainly it's not best solution.

This topic is 4331 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.