Sign in to follow this  

Argh! objbase.h

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just starting DirectX. Downloaded DirectX, the Platform SDK, and VC++ Express. I went into Express, linked to the library and the includes, and tried to compile the CreateDevice sample program that comes with DirectX. But I keep getting the same, single error. c:\dx90sdk\include\d3d9.h(33) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'objbase.h': No such file or directory

Thanks. I just linked straight to the entire SDK folder, and when I checked, I couldn't find the individual folders that I'm supposed to link. Going to re-download again.

When they give you a choice of :

PSDK-amd64.exe
PSDK-ia64.exe
PSDK-x86.exe

, how do you know which one to pick for your system?

Quote:
Original post by TecToc
Thanks. I just linked straight to the entire SDK folder, and when I checked, I couldn't find the individual folders that I'm supposed to link. Going to re-download again.

When they give you a choice of :

PSDK-amd64.exe
PSDK-ia64.exe
PSDK-x86.exe

, how do you know which one to pick for your system?

Well, if you're on a 64-bit AMD, pick the first one. If you're on a 64-bit IA machine, pick the second. If you're on a 32-bit x86, pick the third.

Thanks. I downloaded the amd64 and tried to install, and now it says "not a valid Win32 system". Sorry if it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions, but I was trying to figure out all of this today. It's a lot of crap to download and you have to make sure it's all connected right, which I thought I did, until I decided to compile.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Load of problems.

Re-downloaded the Windows Platform SDK. I have a AMD64 processor, but it wouldn't install. I grabbed the ia64 and for some reason it worked.

I linked the directories and compiled the DirectX sample code and got the following errors:

Quote:
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate9@4 referenced in function "long __cdecl InitD3D(struct HWND__ *)" (?InitD3D@@YAJPAUHWND__@@@Z)
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DefWindowProcA@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall MsgProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ValidateRect@8 referenced in function "long __stdcall MsgProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostQuitMessage@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall MsgProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?MsgProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UnregisterClassA@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetMessageA@16 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UpdateWindow@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShowWindow@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExA@48 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetDesktopWindow@0 referenced in function _WinMain@16
CreateDevice.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegisterClassExA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
LIBCMTD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
.\Debug/CreateDevice.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 14 unresolved externals

This stuff is really getting on my nerves. I just learned to code in C++, and DirectX and Windows API is like an entirely different language, and I can't even get the stuff to work.

Are you actually running a 64bit OS for your AMD64? I don't own one myself, but my understanding is that without a 64bit build of Windows the CPU just appears as a turbo-charged 32bit CPU...

Provided I'm correct on that, go grab the x86/32bit PSDK. I don't think you wanted the IA64 one - thats for Intel's 64bit chips [smile]

Quote:
This stuff is really getting on my nerves. I just learned to code in C++, and DirectX and Windows API is like an entirely different language, and I can't even get the stuff to work.
Might I suggest that you don't try and jump ahead of yourself? The PSDK/DXSDK are fairly complex beasts - trying to learn them when you're fairly new to a language might take some time.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.