[web] Opinions on my site

Started by
43 comments, last by rypyr 18 years, 2 months ago
Well, I've been working very hard to get to this point but I'm finally done (hopefully) with the CMS for my site (except for the documentation part...). My CMS generates the static pages on my site. Regardless, the current state of visitor side of my site is: 1) Content - in demo stage, all of the words you see will change 2) Event's calendar - doesn't do much other than show an alert message (that will change of course) 3) CSS themes - later I'll add other CSS themes as options to visitors (if I can finish everything in time), right now its on the default gray theme 4) Galleries - doesn't show up yet (have to come up with an HTML presentation for the XML data). 5) Every other feature - works just as I plan the final version to Please leave feedback. Link - DeVry Crystal City AITP Note: The site is still under heavy construction
Programming since 1995.
Advertisement
Just a suggestion. The header on your updates sort of distracts the reader from the actual information. If I were you, I would make them much smaller, and maybe a less eye drawing color.

It's coming along well though. Keep it up.
Levi
Thanks, I reduced the font size.
Programming since 1995.
Just my humble opinion but:
  • The cyanish colour on the calendar looks out of place, I would change it to a shade of the blue you have used for your headings such as "Jan, 28 2006 Updated site links!"

• Again colours, the main banner image at the top of the screen looks a bit cheesy. I would use a shade of the aforementioned blue to do both the dots behind the "DeVry Crystal City AITP Chapter" text and the gradient fill of the text itself.

Apart from that, looking good!
--
Cheers,
Darren Clark
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
Thanks, I reduced the font size.

Much Better!
First off, don't take this post too harshly. I mean it to be constructive.

When I opened the site my first impression was ugly. The logo is something that does not get me thinking of anything proffesional. It looks like a hobby site for gaming. The next thing that I noticed was the color scheme:black, white, grey, blue and ... cyan. I would advise getting the color scheme more from the logo of the aitp. Meaning instead of blue in the logo and cyan for mouseovers/titles have it blue for all of it.

Next, the ability to 'minimize' the bar on the left and the calendar on the right is pretty cool. A bit useless, but cool. I see it as superflous, and I would take it out.

So,

• Create a better logo, one that looks proffesional (look at the AITP's website for example)

• Fix the color scheme, remove cyan. Maybe replace with the blue for the logo?

• Remove the 'minimize ability, it is superflous. Maybe create a full column on one side for additional links and the calendar?

Again, don't take this too badly. These are my comments, not everyones. I commend you for the work you have already put in to it.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
I made the cyan more bluish except on the rollover affects. Also, I tried to use the colors of the logo more. It doesn't work, those colors are too dark and it only impedes on readability. I do plan on making different themes where the gray can be replaced with different colors and the visitor can choose which one they view.

As for the collapsable menu. It may be superflous, but its not forced on the user nor is it imposing. Also, the site will have much more content and more links on those menus. Allowing it to collapse may later be useful. Although some pages do not have any links on there. I think I'll change it so that those pages do not have a menu.

On the log issue, the AITP site is not much of an inspiration.

Look at it
http://www.aitpwashingtondc.org/
The one for international site is better, but still no help
http://www.aitp.org/index.jsp

Actually, those sites are horrible references for web design.

*edit*
I removed the collapsable menu feature, although I left that on the calendar since that takes up a lot of space.

[Edited by - T1Oracle on January 28, 2006 9:06:52 PM]
Programming since 1995.
Hrm.

- The calendar links have a mouseover effect (a box around them) in Opera that isn't present in IE or Firefox. Not really an important issue, but I just thought I'd note it.

- The font used for "DeVry Crystal City AITP Chapter" in the title banner looks quite unprofessional in my opinion, as does the background behind it (the gray with scattered blue pixel-blocks). It's probably a matter of preference really, but I'd go for something simpler if I were designing the site, rather than the gradient and the odd background.

- Your &#106avascript links (left menu) are an accesibility nightmare. The added functionality (appears to just be so you can display the message box) isn't really very useful, but prevents opening the links in a new tab and makes the links completely useless for any visitors who have &#106avascript disabled (yes, it's unusual, but is adding that messagebox really worth breaking the site for those people?).<br><br>- I think it looks slightly odd that the header ends where it does and the content extends as far as it can. I think it would probably look better if you either centred the header, or restricted the size of the content area to match it and then centred the entire page (although this would cramp the layout, especially where that calendar and nav menu are).

- Jason Astle-Adams

I changed the colors on it to a all blue theme. Although I'm keeping a copy of the gray theme.
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
- The calendar links have a mouseover effect (a box around them) in Opera that isn't present in IE or Firefox. Not really an important issue, but I just thought I'd note it.

I know, I've been testing in IE, Firefox, and Opera. I'm trying to get the best look possible/functionality (the mouseover makes it more evident that those number are clickable) for each individual browser without imposing on ease of use.
- The font used for "DeVry Crystal City AITP Chapter" in the title banner looks quite unprofessional in my opinion, as does the background behind it (the gray with scattered blue pixel-blocks). It's probably a matter of preference really, but I'd go for something simpler if I were designing the site, rather than the gradient and the odd background.

I'd rather be unique and still efficient and productive.
- Your &#106avascript links (left menu) are an accesibility nightmare. The added functionality (appears to just be so you can display the message box) isn't really very useful, but prevents opening the links in a new tab and makes the links completely useless for any visitors who have &#106avascript disabled (yes, it's unusual, but is adding that messagebox really worth breaking the site for those people?).<br><!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br>Those are intentional. I have &#106avascript links so that google doesn't spider them. Those are &#111;nly for links that go to another domain.<br><!--QUOTE--><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!--/QUOTE--><!--STARTQUOTE--><i>Original post by Kazgoroth</i><br>- I think it looks slightly odd that the header ends where it does and the content extends as far as it can. I think it would probably look better if you either centred the header, or restricted the size of the content area to match it and then centred the entire page (although this would cramp the layout, especially where that calendar and nav menu are).<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br>The layout is liquid. It's not going to look the same at every resolution, I tried to optimize the use of space.<br><br>*edit*<br>Tomorrow I'll make the buttons more grayish (except for the roll over versions, those don't pose legibilty issues as I see it).<br><br><!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - T1Oracle on January 29, 2006 12:40:19 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
Programming since 1995.
That blue theme looks a lot better. One more small thing: the calendar minimize has a '+' when it is big and a '-' when small.... shouldn't this be opposite?
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement