• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AdamWebb

OpenGL Bothering with Fixed Function

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading through the early Documentation for Direct3D 10 and in the 'Direct3D 9 to Direct3D 10 Considerations' section, it states that any usage of the Fixed Function Pipeline in D3D9 Apps should be replaced by Vertex and Pixel shaders given the architectural changes made in D3D10. As someone who hasn't really done much in-depth work with either versions of Direct3D - I've always used OpenGL for 3d work - should I bother learning about Direct3D 9's fixed function pipeline, or should I just go straight into using HLSL for all rendering purposes?

Advertisement
You'll be doing yourself a favour to skip over the FFP. Call it a case of being "forward looking" [smile]

You might be interested in these two recent threads:
Using Vertex Shaders instead of fixed function for entire engine a good idea?
Should new D3D tutorials include tutorials on FFP, or drop it?

As is covered in those threads - if you base ALL your rendering on the effects framework you can still use the FFP as a fallback (or, until you learn the equivalent in shaders) but also be ready for current/next-gen technologies and API's.

hth
Jack

Quote:
...Call it a case of being "forward looking"

That's what I thought. Thanks for the Advice!

[Edited by - AdamWebb on January 29, 2006 9:23:57 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!