[VB6] DirectPlay8 worth it?

Started by
2 comments, last by Fear 18 years, 2 months ago
This isn't so much of a problem, I just want oppinions on it. I currently am working on an MMORPG, although we just started. When I first started making the account creation, and etc. I didn't even realize there was a DirectPlay. So today, I looked at a sample project of it. It seems like a lot of code just to implement basic things for it. So my question is, is it worth it over using WinSock or IOCP (spelling might be wrong on that)? Thanks in advance.
~Fear~
Advertisement
DirectPlay is some work to get going. If I was you I wouldnt use it, maybe try Raknet? Its a really good networking lib.
Hope that helps!
Don't use DirectPlay - go with Windows Sockets [smile]

Quote:DirectPlay is deprecated, and Microsoft strongly recommends against using it to develop new applications. Game developers should use Windows Sockets (see Windows Sockets) and the Windows Firewall APIs (see Games and Firewalls)

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Ok, DP is bad. Question number two: WinSock or IOCP (is that even the right abreviation?)? I've heard that IOCP is the WinSock for MMORPGs, but then again, I hear a lot of things. I don't want to start using WinSock because we won't have many players in the beginning, and then have to go back and fix EVERYTHING. So this is important. Thanks again.
~Fear~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement