a different newbie thread

Started by
14 comments, last by DarkZlayer 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi, new to the forums (contributing), but have been reading it for some time. Like so many thousands others I also want to get into gameprogramming but strictly on a casual basis. I have ample time available since I work nights only in a different industry. My days are completely free and I might as well use them constructively. I thought it might help me and others (hopefully) more if I ask more specific questions on starting game development rather than "I'm new, what should I do next". I've certainly tried reading up on game development but there's an overwhelming amount of information out there and I have no idea what's what. Here's what I understand so far. Please bare in mind that I might, and probably will be wrong. - Game Engines hold all the libraries I need to make a specific game based on that engine? Usually written in C/C++ etc. - I can use a scripting language calling up those classes? ex. Lua. - DirectX is an "engine" that hold graphics based libraries used to, well, make grahpics work? - Games don't need to be written in C++ exclusively? One could use other languages as well? Reading over this again, I realise there's a few 16yo laughing at me now :-). Anyway. I have dabbled a bit with C# and are fairly competent, meaning, I can write textbased stuff (console.writeline().) etc. But is C# any good? So I'll ask 5 random questions every week, and take a week to research the responses and hopefully I can get more specific information. 1. How does scripting languages (ex. Lua) tie into a game engine? I know that large amounts "Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl" is being written in LUA. Is it possible to learn LUA and write games without having to know C#/C++ etc.? 2. If you had to restart learning game development today, what's the first 3 things you would learn to do? 3. How do I actually use game libraries and how do I find them? 4. Uhm, what exactly are libraries? a defintion would be helpful. 5. Do I HAVE to know C#/C/C++ to start making a game? As the more experienced readers here can see, my questions and understanding is all over the place. I guess what I (and other newbies) need is more specific pointers on where to start. I hope to get a few answers soon. In the meantime, I'll keep on reading and learning. regards ElectricJaguar
Advertisement
You find game engines/libs by googling for them or using the stickies on this forum. They contain a list of a lot of them, check the alternate game lib forum.
You do not need to know C/C+/C#, I started with Visual BASIC. A lot of people think Python is a good start too. Libraries are just a lot of functions and such to do the job for you so you dont have to reinvent the wheel.

Hope this helps, sorry if I missed anything!
Quote: Games don't need to be written in C++ exclusively? One could use other languages as well
Sure, you could use other languages like python, C#, java, etc.
Quote:Anyway. I have dabbled a bit with C# and are fairly competent, meaning, I can write textbased stuff (console.writeline().) etc. But is C# any good?
C# is good but only if you don't mind only writing games for windows. You can also develop things in C# faster than in some other laanguages.
Quote:2. If you had to restart learning game development today, what's the first 3 things you would learn to do?
Buy a more updated C++ book (the one I started with was outdated)-Make a good text based game using classes (when I started I didn't use clases), Start learning earlier, eat pie!
Quote:3. How do I actually use game libraries and how do I find them?
Well, there are things like SDL, OpenGL, allegro, and DirectX. You can get directX from the microsoft website. Your compiler probably comes with minimal opengl files but I'm not sure about that since I don't use OpenGL. SDL and allegro can be downloaded from their respective websites (neither of which I know but remember--Google is your friend). To use them just include the neccessary files in your project.
Quote:Do I HAVE to know C#/C/C++ to start making a game?
Of course not, you could use other things like basic, python, java, etc.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
All useful replies, but the burning question still is.

- How does scripting languages tie into a game engine.
Quote:Original post by ElectricJaguar
- Game Engines hold all the libraries I need to make a specific game based on that engine? Usually written in C/C++ etc.

Sort of. They're are supposed to speed up development by providing specific game functions. However they do usually require that you be fairly competant at programming. I'd suggest you stick to making your own code for now.

I can use a scripting language calling up those classes? ex. Lua.

Yes and many engines come with some sort of built-in scripting language, but again you're jumping ahead of yourself.

DirectX is an "engine" that hold graphics based libraries used to, well, make grahpics work?

DirectX is a group of interfaces over the PC's hardware, or an API. Direct3D provides a way for the programmer to interact with the graphics card. It does not provide any functions to help with game mechanics(like some engines do).

Games don't need to be written in C++ exclusively? One could use other languages as well?

That's true. You can create a game in almost any modern language. C,C++,C#,Visual Basic,Python,Java and many more.

Anyway. I have dabbled a bit with C# and are fairly competent, meaning, I can write textbased stuff (console.writeline().) etc. But is C# any good?

Then I suggest you stick to C#. While the language is relativly new, it is still considered to be "The wave of the future". It should be able to do anything you need to.

1. How does scripting languages (ex. Lua) tie into a game engine? I know that
large amounts "Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl" is being written in LUA. Is it possible to learn LUA and write games without having to know C#/C++ etc.?

While I'm not sure about LUA, it is possible to write games using only a scripting language. See evolutional's journal for some scripting goodness.

If you had to restart learning game development today, what's the first 3 things you would learn to do?

Nothing. Part of learning programming is to learn by your mistakes.

How do I actually use game libraries and how do I find them?

I'm not sure what you mean by "game libraries". If you want some graphics on the screen, for C#(and many more) you can chose from DirectX, OpenGL(graphics only) or SDL. Many here would probably suggest SDL.

Uhm, what exactly are libraries? a defintion would be helpful.

I can't find one for libraries, but I suggest you visit the GDNet Dictionary.

Do I HAVE to know C#/C/C++ to start making a game?

No you could use something else, but since you already know C# why change?

Also if you stick to C#, have you created any Windows applications yet? I'd suggest a slow move out of the console before you jump head first into some API programming.

Edit:

You don't need a scripting language or a game engine. Just create a few small arcade games for now. You're trying to jump from console to Quake 5.

Scripting is a very complex topic. You can use scripting to do all sorts of things. I'm know gamedev has some articles about scripting. Take a look at some of those.

F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Scet, thanks a million. I can truthfully say that everything you said helped me alot. One more question before I go off to play with C#. Anyone that knows can answer really.

How do I get graphics on the screen? Could you give me an example of code that will make something appear?

thanks to everyone that answered. I'll be back with 100's more silly questions alot and trying to help others as I learn.
"5. Do I HAVE to know C#/C/C++ to start making a game?"

I would recomend learning C && C++ || C# which runs faster and is more compact then other high level languages like basic,pascal... I have never messed with C# but i have heard that it is way easyer to debug compared to C or C++. Yeh you need to be efficient with a programming language first and then you can move in by learning windows programming, directx, OpenGL, or a library like Allegro, ect.
-
+click here to veiw sig
+My Myspace
+[email=webmaster@hideoutgear.com]Email Me[/email]
How do I get graphics on the screen? Could you give me an example of code that will make something appear?

I can't give you any code myself, but google is your friend. "C# GDI+"(forgot to mention you could use GDI+),"C# SDL","C# OpenGL","C# Direct3D",well you get the idea. I'd suggest GDI+, it seems simple enough. It'll help you adjust to Windows programming while being able to use graphics.
Im not a proffesional or anywhere near it but I was in the same spot you were. I know this isnt what you want to hear, but here are my suggestins:

One of your questions was: 2.If you had to restart learning game development today, what's the first 3 things you would learn to do?

1. I would get comfortable with a language. "get comforatable" means that not only are you able to code in the language but you've practiced alot and bascily know what your doing. This was one of my problems when I was begginig. I wasnt comfortable with my language of choice before I tried to move on and I ended up wasting weeks torturing myself with directx and after that I quit programming all together. I didnt end up comming back to programming for a year and I really regret that.

2. I would learn that "learning" is way more than reading books and tutorials. You have to practice what you read or it will all be wasted. I wasted alot of my time reading books but not practicing what I read. I ended up learning nothing.

3. I would learn to never quit. If there is one thing that will keep you from learning its if you get frustrated and quit. This may not be a problem for others but it was a big one for me. I would spend hours typing code and then when I tried to compile it it would never work. You may very well spend more time fixing your code than you do typing it (especially if you use C++ like me), but make sure you stick through and complete your projects.

BTW: I sugest learning SDL. I think its fairly easy and I wouldnt use anything else.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement