• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Erik Sintorn

OpenGL Render to vertex array?

This topic is 4552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm currently working with GPU particle systems and realize that I would be much better of if there was some way to render directly to a vertex array. What I do now is I copy the final particle positions to a PBO each frame and I feel like I'm just wasting valuable time. Is there any way in OpenGL yet to render directly to a vertex array?

Advertisement
Hi,

ARB_super_buffer was supposed to give you the ability to do that. I even found a document describing how it would help with a GPU particle system:
http://www.gdconf.com/conference/archives/2004/latta_lutz_02.pdf

But this thread explains why ARB_super_buffer died:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=334003

-Andrew

The description of the history and future of the superbuffers working group is inaccurate. ATI and NVIDIA are actually working well together now, and FBOs are designed to be cross platform. But render to vertex array is not yet supported directly.

The best solution today is to render to offscreen memory (e.g. an FBO) and ReadPixels to a PBO (which can be performed asynchronously and does not return data to the host). The PBO can then be bound as a VBO for rendering.

This is not a perfect solution as it requires a copy from the FBO to the PBO and ideally you would like to be able to perform this operation without copying any data. But the fact that this copy can be pipelined (and vid-to-vid copies are very fast) makes it pretty darned good.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!