I've got the power!!!

Started by
8 comments, last by cooldaddyk 23 years, 3 months ago
The title is kinda straight forward, if not oh well. What I''ve been wanting to know is which API is more powerful(DirectX or OpenGL). And why do most professionals use OpenGL. I''ll would like to know the answer to these questions. Thanks
Advertisement
I don''t know which one is faster, but openGL is more accurate so it''s used in professional applications.
Before this post turns in to WWIII (you''ve really opened up a can o'' worms here) let me just say that as of now choosing your API (as a newbie) is personal preference. OpengGL lends itself to be fairly easy for newcomers to 3D graphics, but it would be to your advantage to learn *one* API and then take the time to learn the other so that you can be well versed in either API.
~S''Greth
"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."~Bruce Feirstein
quote:Original post by cooldaddyk
why do most professionals use OpenGL.

Not strictly true. Most CG professionals use OpenGL, however, if you go into a shop and pick up a game off the shelf, you will find that the majority has either a DirectX/OpenGL engine or a DirectX only engine, OpenGL only engines being relatively rare (the only current one I can think of is the Quake III engine).
This is not to say that either API is better than the other. It is indeed a personal preference whether to choose OpenGL or DirectX (in my case it is actually a forced preference because I don''t have access to a computer which can actually use OpenGL without crashing , but I still actually have DirectX as my personal preference) and don''t let anyone force you into using either one. Choose your own path.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

Yep - it is all a matter of preference. It is not possible to say which is the more powerful API.

Having spent a fair amount of time working with OpenGL I am now moving over to using DirectX, especially now version 8 shares a lot of similarities with OpenGL in it''s structure. Having only spent a few weeks with DX8 I personally prefer this to OpenGL.

I think that what it really comes down to is how well the API is used and how good the programmers are at using the technology they have available to them. There is no substitute for good, clever and solid programming.

Cheers,
Sharky
Yeah what you all are saying makes sense. But I just don''t know which one to choose. First of all OpenGL is more "raw" than DirectX in perspective. This is a good thing and bad thing for me. I''m a person that likes to create so OpenGl gives you that. Also i''m a person that likes to get done with things quickly so DirectX gives you that by having most of the functions done for you(exspecially shadows). So what should I do first?
In my experience I''ve found OpenGL to be faster running on comparable hardware, easier to program and better graphical quality in general (the latter to a lesser degree than the former). I would recommend OpenGL to anyone over D3D.

Just my opinion, and you Direct 3D fanatics out there are welcome to disagree, but this is my experience with it, not yours

I have yet to work with DX8 though, so they may have improved it.

"Two wrongs do not make a right; it usually takes 3 or more."

quote:Original post by Ratheous

In my experience I''ve found OpenGL to be faster running on comparable hardware, easier to program and better graphical quality in general (the latter to a lesser degree than the former). I would recommend OpenGL to anyone over D3D.

Just my opinion, and you Direct 3D fanatics out there are welcome to disagree, but this is my experience with it, not yours

I have yet to work with DX8 though, so they may have improved it.

"Two wrongs do not make a right; it usually takes 3 or more."

Actually, neither API seems to be faster in the general case. On nVidia chipsets, OpenGL tends to be faster than Direct3D. However, on both of my computers, OpenGL runs slower than Direct3D due to poor driver quality. Basically, the speed of any API comes down to the driver quality and speed.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

Not to get of the subject but is it true ATI graphics cards are crap?
quote:
cooldaddyk:
Not to get of the subject but is it true ATI graphics cards are crap?

In general: yes .

Get an nVidia card, they''re the market leader at the moment, as well as some of the cheapest.

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement