• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chewy

The Best Free 3d Engine

This topic is 6427 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I need opions here, What''s the best Free 3d Engine in your opinion and why? The 3 main ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Genisis3d, Crystal Space, and Morfit. I''ve been playing with morfit which looks pretty cool to me, It''s very simple and seems to be pretty powerful at first look.

Advertisement
My 0.02E10-23 cents worth:

Genesis3D: good community support, but the engine is dated and is showing its age. A new version called "G3D Classic" is being developed but there''s no fixed release date. I''m in the middle of a project with it, it''s OK but by no means leading-edge or even middle-of-the-pack - it''s kind of "trailing edge" right now. Supports Direct3D and Glide.

CrystalSpace: once the API settles down, it''s a contender. I''ve had problems getting good performance with it on low-end machines, though. I''ll check back when this reaches a stable BETA.

The Nebula Device: I''m currently trying to decipher this. The code is commented in German and my German isn''t all that great, thanks to Babelfish I''m making it through. Impressive tech demos, even on my lower-end test machine. The scripting interface is cool, and it _appears_ easy to add new things to it. No real level editor. Tool support is starting to come out now, with an exporter for 3DS MAX and Milkshape3D that will let you get jointed characters into the system without owning Maya (the tools are oriented towards OBJ-format geometry). Supports Direct3D and OpenGL.

Fly3D V1: pretty decent OpenGL-based engine. You have to have 3DS MAX to use it effectively, though. Lots of cool techniques but tutorials on how to make levels and animated objects with the tools are lacking, making it difficult to construct all but the simplest of levels. The demos are fairly nice but don''t really show the power of the engine. If they could get better tutorials going Fly3D V1 would be a reasonable choice. You need to buy the authors game-programming book to get all the source code, but the book is modestly decent so it''s not a huge investment. I''d be using this if it wasn''t for the lack of information on how to actually USE the engine (and it''s effectively uncommented C++ code, aiiie!).

Those are all the ones I''ve seriously investigated. I hope this info helps!

I think the Nebula Engine is a good 3d-engine, but it is really not easy to use and it is not a 3d-shooter engine. A good indoor engine is Genesis3d.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!