Debugging in exclusive mode

Started by
14 comments, last by BadBros 23 years, 2 months ago
I have experience in using 2 monitors to debug a Direct Draw aplication. I work like this: In one monitor I run the DD app, and the other I use VC++. Only thing you have to do is to comment the windows messages procesing code in your DD app, and then you can debug like any other app.
Advertisement
I use two computers and use the remote debugging feature of VC++. But then Im also a bit of a hardware junky and never throw out old PCs.

I find it very easy to use and very useful. You dont have to muck around with extra code or setting up multi monitors etc. definately the way to go if you can afford IMO.
Houdini> How do you debug remotely. I have a network set up and would love to be able to do this but when I have tried it before (using the help in msdn) I just haven''t managed to do it. Could you please explain how to do it?

Thanks

Zeke000000@aol.com

Just my thoughts take them as you will.

"People spend too much time thinking about the past, whatever else it is, its gone"-Mel Gibson, Man Without A Face
Just my thoughts take them as you will. "People spend too much time thinking about the past, whatever else it is, its gone"-Mel Gibson, Man Without A Face
quote:Original post by Zeke

Houdini> How do you debug remotely. I have a network set up and would love to be able to do this but when I have tried it before (using the help in msdn) I just haven''t managed to do it. Could you please explain how to do it?

Zeke, I don''t. I''m not sure if you got my name mixed up with another post, but I allow my game to run both fullscreen and windowed mode so I don''t NEED to debug remotely. You can debug your windowed game just like any other application.

- Houdini
- Houdini
Ok,

I wrote code to toggle fullscreen and windowed, and thats what I''ve used up to know, Its just that I personally find it a pain to keep switching windows and I dont like running games in windowed mode in general.

I''ve also used debug files many a time, but i''m interested in taking full advantage of the debugger (Traces, Breakpoints, etc.)

The only reason I would be setting up multi-monitors is for running the game on one monitor and running VC on the other, not testing my game on different cards/monitors.

What I wanted to hear about in multi-mon was about the mouse/keyboard. I would assume both the game and VC would get the mouse/keyboard events, unless the game was running DInput in exclusive mode, is this correct?

Thank you very much for your input

------------

Zeke - the MSDN docs for setting up the remote debugging were a bit confusing. Just do the following - On the computer you want to run the game on, run the msvcmon.exe, set it to connect to the other computer and click on "Connect".

The rest of the instructions (Like setting up the remote path and stuff like that) are all done in VC on the computer that will be running the debugger.

Hope that helps
"If it jams - force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway"
-- Lowery's Law
"Thinly sliced cabbage"
-- Cole's Law
Yes, you''re right about the mouse/keyboard.

If the game has the focus, then VC++ doesn''t get input messages from the keyboard of course. But if VC++ has focus then it gets messages and the game also responds to the keyboard, because it''s reading it more directly than through windows messages. So basically, if you are scrolling in the VC++ editor, then the controls are also working in your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement