• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrigidHelix

Registering window class

This topic is 6421 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some of my directX example programs register a window class using WNDCLASSEX while other use WNDCLASS. It seems the full screen apps use WNDCLASS, whereas the windowed ones use WNDCLASSEX. What is the advantage/disadvantage to registering using either one for a DirectDraw application?

Advertisement
WNDCLASSEX gives you the ability to keep your window in the forground no matter what, but other than that I don''t see how it would make much difference in game programming.

It doesnt matter. The only difference I know of is that WNDCLASSEX allows you to specify a small icon that is different from the regular large icon.

acw83 was, I think, thinking of CreateWindow and CreateWindowEx

CreateWindowEx is important to fullscreen games because you want it to be always on top and maximized.

but for WNDCLASS/WNDCLASSEX, it doesnt matter

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!