3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

Started by
213 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by d000hg
scgrn:Didn't you enter last time?

I entered the last 1W1B contest, but I've never done the 3H-GDC. It sounds like a blast... I'm really looking forward to it.
Advertisement
If I wasn't so busy this week, I'd have joined this contest within a heart-beat.

Console applications rox!
Quote:Original post by scgrn
Quote:Original post by d000hg
scgrn:Didn't you enter last time?

I entered the last 1W1B contest, but I've never done the 3H-GDC. It sounds like a blast... I'm really looking forward to it.
Yeah it IS fun. I found it to be almost exactly like an exam with an essay question:
  • Spend a while planning what you're going to do.

• Panic when you realise 1/2 an hour has gone and you've not started yet.

• Frantically start coding.

• Frantically create some horrible 'artwork' in Paint.

• Start to get into it as a compilable application which renders something is reached.

• Panic some more as you realise only 30min is left and you still have just a framework on which to build a game.

• Throw together some basic gameplay, leaving out the majority of what you wasted the first 30min planning.

• Frantically zip and email the entry when you remember that the deadline is when it should be sent, not when you should stop coding.

• Collapse/get beer/watch on the forums and enjoy the others who are still desperately trying to figure out how to submit their entry.

• So a lot like an exam really - a middle period of actually getting on with it surrounded by panic at either end. I think I'll copy and paste this as my post-mortem for the contest THIS time, actually.
    I'm sorry if someone has already answered this, but are you allowed to include sound and music composed outside the 3 hour period?
    Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
    That is a good question. What about freely available resources from the web, as well? Realistically few of us could add sound if we had to make it ourselves at all, let alone in 3 hours! And adding sound to a 3H contest entry would be a rare bit of polish indeed.

By the way...

This is my D3D console mode emulator. Firstly, capn_midnight is there anything to make you think this would not be allowed? Secondly, is anyone keen on using it? There's a couple of utility functions I might add but it currently has the ability to set a character, write a string, and draw a dithered block between 2 colours.

[Edited by - d000hg on February 8, 2006 8:51:56 AM]
    public domain sound and music is fine.

your D3D emulator looks fine.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I might enter as well. But it's a bit late for me (I'm at GMT+1) so then again, I might not.
    There still is gonna be a theme right?

I'm guessing the N/A under theme right now is for "not announced" as opposed to "not applicable"...
    Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
    public domain sound and music is fine.

your D3D emulator looks fine.

By that you mean music that either is freely distributable or you have the permission / the distribution rights too?

Cos I have a friend who composes stuff and he might be up for me using his own original material.
    Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
    another question - anyone know of any good .Net 2 console input examples suitable for controlling a game?

Trying to get my head around DllImporting GetKeyState and GetKeyboardState and don't seem to be getting very far.

It's odd cos I could do this keyboard control in C++ no troubles, but I kind of want to do this in C# 2 [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement