Sign in to follow this  
capn_midnight

3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

DrPetter    132
I'll see if I can whip something up... 3 hours should be enough for cool things to happen.
If I do enter I will use my recently hacked-together OpenGL text renderer (made for the purpose of this compo). It features a low resolution two-color font grabbed from a console window screenshot as well as some blippy sounds courtesy of bass lib.
From what I've read in this thread that should be well within spec.

Prototype screenshot:

ToohrVyk    1596
I found out I can play music as well. Behold:

let badadee = [ (800,100); (850,100); (900,200) ];;
let badodum = [ (800,100); (700,100); (600,300) ];;
let badibadidaa = [ (800,100); (850,100); (800,100); (850,100); (750,200) ];;
let tudidadodaa = [ (800,60); (850,60); (750,60); (700,60); (750,200) ];;
let todidotodido = [ (750,100); (800,100); (750,100); (700,100); (750,100); (700,400) ];;
let blip = [ (900,60); (800,80) ];;

nagromo    676
Yay! I made my first C/C++ dll! (It wasn't quite as hard as I thought it would be.) It's a wrapper for the win32 console functions. Calling it from inside C#, I get 128 fps with randomly changing backgrounds in windowed mode; 512 fps in fullscreen. It looks great in fullscreen because 80x50 matches most widescreen resolutions, too. If you're using a 4:3 monitor the characters will appear as 1.2:1, but that's still better than 3:4 or 2:1.

I learned that you can freely mix the win32 console functions and the .Net console functions; I can use the .Net Write to output text and the win32 wrapper for 'graphics'. I'm currently just using GetAsyncKeyState for input, but I'll see if I can mix it with the .Net console input for events, too.

Here it is; it isn't really all that much code, but I'd say it's pretty useful if you want to use C# but don't want to deal with horrible framerates or win32 console functions. (You still have to deal with input, though. I suggest using Console.KeyAvailable with Console.Read for events and GetAsyncKeyState for stuff like motion.)

Just a warning, in the demo app, you press up to exit cleanly. Sorry; I only added the arrow keys to my Keys enum so far.

Important: I just uploaded a bugfix so it won't crash if you try to read or write outside of the console window! If you got the old one in the first 10 minutes it was up, please get the new version!

[Edited by - nagromo on February 11, 2006 1:29:19 PM]

capn_midnight    1707
Quote:
Original post by Endurion
Just to be on the safe side. Here's a link to fixed worldtime. I'd like to have a link to this added everytime for a competition.

This makes my questions regarding timezones obsolete :)

Clicky

No, I specified the time in GMT, it's the contestants responsibility to figure out what that means to them. If they can't figure out their relation to GMT, then they are apparently unable to double click the clock in your task bar.

ToohrVyk    1596
Quote:
Original post by scgrn
Good luck everyone!!

*brews another pot of coffee*

Good night, everyone else!!

*steals pot of coffee from scgrn* [grin]

DrPetter    132
Woo, I've got a line drawing routine working! What do you think about 40x30 vector graphics textured with random characters? Crazy :P

Actually I _might_ up the resolution to the maximum allowed... we'll see though, low is always cool :)

(I have a very zany game idea, we'll see if it'll work out at all)

Thevenin    270
The stars? Oh wow, suddenly this contest is in my favor (And no bribing was necessary [grin]).

Unfortunently though, I won't be participating; it took me too long to decide that C#'s Console functions were too slow for animation.