Sign in to follow this  
capn_midnight

3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

Done! (Actually I sent the e-mail a few minutes ago, but I read the thread; and I finished the game a little earlier than that, except I wrote a (short) readme.)

Here it is:

StarSearcher.zip

It requires .Net 2.0.

Feel free to change the numbers in level.txt to make it more fun; I didn't have much time to tweak it [grin]

Also, my 'random level generation' uses a really crappy algorithm. Can you guess what it is?

More information: the game is Run!, and adventure game where you dive into a generic ACME dungeon in search of the GHLLAUP, with the stars as your allies and protectors. Solve enigmas and puzzles, discover unbearable truths and escape out of the dungeon alive!

buy this game! or not

You can download the game here, or get the source code here.

The game engine can be re-used for other adventure games (it is written in Objective Caml, and uses a proprietary script to describe the rooms in the game).

Quote:
Original post by scgrn
Mine's done but the executable won't run outside my IDE... I can't figure out why :(

are you loading files at runtime? some IDEs change the file path when running the application through the IDE.

Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by scgrn
Mine's done but the executable won't run outside my IDE... I can't figure out why :(

are you loading files at runtime? some IDEs change the file path when running the application through the IDE.

That must be it... how can I fix that?

Quote:
Original post by scgrn
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by scgrn

That must be it... how can I fix that?

Easiest way will probably be to maintain the directory structure... eg.. if your sprites are in the /debug folder, then keep the debug folder in your zip of the game (With all the sprites in it).

Wow... I'm impressed. I'd have to say my favorites are Star Cowboy, Endurion's, and StarPirateLaser.

With mine, I was inspired by Chip's Challenge and other similar puzzle games. I didn't have nearly enough time to implement all the level elements or to design levels, though.

At least I did better than last time.