Help me make up my RAP NAME

Started by
34 comments, last by SewageWorker 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by SewageWorker
Quote:Original post by furby100
I think in fact you just hate rap music and are trying to present a weak justification to stop other people from enjoying it.

I think it's common sense why Rap isn't really music. I mean even the most professionally unregarded types of music such as punk and that sort have basic forms of harmony and musical coherence (which is itself, based on classical harmony) such as the much overused icecream powerchords.
Whereas the only thing "musical" about Rap is that looped electronically generated riff that the "singing" (which has no musical quality of its own) sits on top of.
Even if you were to call it poetry, it would be an insult to poetry, for other common seensical (if that's a word) reasons.

Sorry if that was offtopic

Oh and as for a name go for Jingy McHo

Quote:From Wikipedia
Hip hop music (also referred to as rap or rap music) is a style of popular music. It is made up of two main components: rapping (MC'ing) and DJing (audio mixing and scratching);

Which one's right?

I think what you are talking about is rapping != music

EDIT:
And back to topic, I made one quickly.

Teh1337z
Hello
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by SewageWorker
Quote:Original post by furby100
I think in fact you just hate rap music and are trying to present a weak justification to stop other people from enjoying it.

I think it's common sense why Rap isn't really music. I mean even the most professionally unregarded types of music such as punk and that sort have basic forms of harmony and musical coherence (which is itself, based on classical harmony) such as the much overused icecream powerchords.
Whereas the only thing "musical" about Rap is that looped electronically generated riff that the "singing" (which has no musical quality of its own) sits on top of.
Even if you were to call it poetry, it would be an insult to poetry, for other common seensical (if that's a word) reasons.

Sorry if that was offtopic

Oh and as for a name go for Jingy McHo

Its obvious you havent heard a lot of rap. The masters of the art such as Tupac manage to rap with lots of assonance and alliteration, producing quite harmonic sounding words.
That poetry statement is pure ignorance. Had you actually listened to the lyrics of some songs you would be eating your own words. Give "Only God Can Judge Me", "If I Die 2Nite", and "Mamas Just A Little Girl", all by Tupac, a listen. Im sure you will see that rap can have depth.
Though I would agree that the majority of today's rappers conform to your view.

Aww hey come on. Hip hop is music, it has melody, and....

IT UNITES ALL RACES.

I dont like arguing but... Man. You cant deny that. I'm an ethnic minority, and over the past few months, have expanded my styles to all kinds of music, especially aggressive hardcore. Hip hop, rap, the gangsta beat, is music, and it is enjoyable to listen to. But thats just my point of view, everyone is entitled to their own. As a wise man once said to me, "Each to his own".:)
Quote:Original post by Silouhette
IT UNITES ALL RACES.

? So is classic and rock. If you want a genre that truly unites all races, try techno. Seriously, have you seen a documentary of those ravers (sp?) ? man, are they multi-racial.
Politics are irrelevant. This is about music.
Quote:Original post by barakus
Its obvious you havent heard a lot of rap. The masters of the art such as Tupac manage to rap with lots of assonance and alliteration, producing quite harmonic sounding words.
That poetry statement is pure ignorance. Had you actually listened to the lyrics of some songs you would be eating your own words. Give "Only God Can Judge Me", "If I Die 2Nite", and "Mamas Just A Little Girl", all by Tupac, a listen. Im sure you will see that rap can have depth.
Though I would agree that the majority of today's rappers conform to your view.

You're right, I havn't heard alot of Rap, but even in Poetry, the poet doesn't just spill his or her emotions out on the paper. Granted, the songs you named may very well be deep and contain alot of food for thought, but then again every one of us is. It's the poet who can use his skill, mastery and artistry to put those in a form which has an enourmous effect, maks you think, makes you feel.

Most of the Rap of which I've eard only sounds like somone ranting, or merely thinking out loug; no matter how deep his/her thoughts are, it doesn't have the same level of artistry as poetry.
On another note I really like the song, Ghetto Gospel but probably because of Elton John. But the Rap does add a nice touch and the backing music is nice too.

On Topic: 6 dollars

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement