• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azrael

OpenGL What format do you guys use to load models in opengl?

This topic is 6424 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What format do you guys use to load models in opengl? ASE, 3ds, md2, md3? Im pulling together a opengl engine, and I would like some options on what to use, pros and cons...

Advertisement
I''m using my own format wich has support for multiple meshes, shader indices, bones, animations, etc.

Using your own file format is more flexible so I would recommend that...

I also recommend that you use your own file format.It may be difficult to create a plugin or converter for other file formats to your own but in the long run it defenately pays off!

Hey richardve: I''d like to talk to you more about your file format since I''m in the process of writing my own mesh file format and I''m still designing it.I just want to get a few ideas off of you (if you don''t mind) of how you stored all the info in your file.Specifically,the mesh,the bones and the matrices. Email me at thegecko@tbaytel.net

right now im using my own format but ive used all of these formats ASE, 3ds, md2, md3
i''ld say the best to begin with would be md2 (nice and easy to understand , plenty of models out there ppl wise, though there are a couple of limitations with it though )

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Is there a good place that describes those above file formats ?

I''d love to be able to loadup a .md2 or .md3 in my engine.

then maybe move on to my own file format.
but right now, imitation is fine with me

Thanks,

Gunner.

cool! Thanks guys, this really has been useful, I have used md2 before but not in opengl, RichardVe I would like to know if you could share some info on how to export and use bones in opengl So I could also do my own format.

NOTE: You should first have a basic mesh loader, after that you can add support for bones and all that other nice stuff..

At the moment I'm using MilkShape 3D for exporting bones (with a plugin for exporting to my own format ) but I'll have to write my own little animation program since MS3D doesn't have support for skinned meshes...

For loading bones and using them in a 3D program you'd better visit Jeff Landers website because he's got some very nice examples.

Hope this helps....

EDIT: bah! I hate typos!

Edited by - richardve on January 19, 2001 5:41:19 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!