OpenGL Windowed/Fullscreen FPS (?)

Started by
4 comments, last by bartyount 23 years, 3 months ago
I''ve been learning OpenGL by looking at some tutorials and writing some small apps. I haven''t had any problems until I reinstalled Win98. Since I''ve reinstalled, my apps are now running extrememly slow in windowed mode - approx 3 fps. When running the same app in fullscreen mode, I get about 30 fps. It appears that the app is using the video hardware acceleration in fullscreen but not in windowed mode (I''m using a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000). Another problem I''m seeing is that in windowed mode, using text in an opengl app works fine, but in fullscreen mode the text is garbled. I didn''t see these problems before the Win98 reinstall but I''m using the same drivers that I used before the reinstall. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Bart P.S. It''s already been suggested to me to use Linux instead of Windows! But since I want to write a WINDOWS app, that doesn''t help me much!
Advertisement
Check that you are using 16 bit color depth for the desktop.
Yep - I''m using 16bit.

It''s all moot now, though. I managed to find updated drivers (which wasn''t very easy considering 3dfx shut down their driver download page since being bought by nVidia). Once I installed the new drivers, everything ran perfectly!

Thanks for the help, though!
Hmm Voodoo usually doent work in windowed mode I''ve heard but since you''ve got it working before it does, have you tried to find a tweaked OpenGL32.dll file. that worked for a friend of mine.

/Damage Inc.
Well - maybe it''s not using hardware acceleration - but it''s sure running alot faster than before I installed the new drivers (from 3fps to about 40fps in windowed mode).

Does anyone know how to tell if the hardware acceleration is being used or not?

BTW, I haven''t tried finding a tweaked opengl32.dll - just using the standard one included in win98.
quote:Original post by _Damage_Inc_

Hmm Voodoo usually doent work in windowed mode I''ve heard but since you''ve got it working before it does, have you tried to find a tweaked OpenGL32.dll file. that worked for a friend of mine.

/Damage Inc.

I thought this was only true for Voodoo 1 and 2. Didn''t they have windowed acceleration with Voodoo 3?

Jesse Chounard

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement