• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tessellator

Line removal

This topic is 6336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been searching for good methods of removing occluded line segments, and have thus far found nothing... For example, I might want to render a human model in wireframe, but where the arm goes in front of the leg (say), some parts of the leg lines will need to be culled. I''m looking for methods that aren''t API based, so nothing to do with multiple renders of the object etc... Hope you can help T

Advertisement
the simpliest way i can think of is to render the model first solidly in the background color and then draw the wireframe version over it using polygon offset maybe ( does that work in GL_LINE?) or GL_EQUAL. u must have depth testing enabled

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

quote:
Original post by Tessellator

I''m looking for methods that aren''t API based, so nothing to do with multiple renders of the object etc...

Well, those wich aren''t API based - those methods are quite not simple... (you have to change your geometry dinamically to remove obscured line segments)

You may find something useful here: Search for a "Hidden Line Removal" at www.opengl.org

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!