---> Need Book recommendations

Started by
5 comments, last by RedeyeJedneck 23 years, 2 months ago
I am learning D3D and I need to learn some 3d math...can you guys recommend some good books to learn 3d math...i know two are: -3D Graphics Programming: Games and Beyond -Computer Graphics : Principles and Practice will those teach enough or is there some more you can recommend? thanks in advance...
Advertisement
I highly recommend Michael Abrash''s Graphics Programming Black Book.

The math that you want is there, along with implementation in C and assembly languages.

Also, the book focuses heavily on optimizing your code, and he knows what he''s talking about (and fortunately, we are allowed to gain this knowledge too.)

It is a thick book (1300 or so pages) and packed with information that every programmer (not just gfx programmers) needs to know.

And yes, it is that good!

/Travois\
Advanced 3d game programming with direct x 7.0 should help you out on the 3d math basics.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
I would suggest Advanced 3-D Game Programming using DirectX 7.0 as well. It doesn''t go into all that much depth, but presents what it does in a very straight forward manner. I just picked up Computer Graphics & Geometric Modeling as well as 3D Computer Graphics over the weekend. Additionally I''ve had 3D Game Engine Design as well as Real-Time Rendering for awhile. I don''t doubt there are a few topics not covered by any of them, but between them all they cover enough topics to keep me busy for awhile.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Pick up a college-level linear algebra book. Learn that well and you''ll have the basics of 3d.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
"Black Art of 3D Game Programming" by André LaMothe helped me greatly in learning the basics of 3D graphics but since it is fairly outdated not every information given is of use today.

A very good book (IMHO) is "Real-Time Rendering". There are many algorithms and advanced things as well as some basics explained in it.

Before reading "Advanced 3-D Game Programming With DirectX 7.0" you should know most of the 3D stuff I think.
I have 3D Graphics Programming: Games and Beyond by Sergei Slavencko (i think that''s how ya spell Slavencko).

It''s a very good book about graphics programming. I highly recomend it. It''s language, though, it''s not very newbie directed (this is just my personal opinion). It''s better if you have a little 3D experience like matrix and vector algebra (not required, but will help you).

Read the opinions at Amazon to learn more about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement