Needing help with Iso tiles / Millions of Colors

Started by
4 comments, last by RomanticWarrior 23 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I''m a newbie here and I''m in need of help with the architecture of isometric tiles. I''ve read the article here about isometric tiles, but I still have some questions to ask. I plan to develop an RPG game (with a dozen of other members) for the *Mac* using Millions of Colors, (or Thousands) instead of 256. What are some drawbacks or things I will need to be careful about? I tried to make a tile model in Photoshop but it turned out that all the edges are unequal, and thus the pixels wouldnt match the sides when they are placed repeatedly. Are there any predefined tile angles and such? What size would be great? I plan to use the tile size Diablo uses. I would like some help on this matter. If there are any example tiles I can use, that would be great. Thank you in advance for your help!
Advertisement
Oh, forgot to add one more thing.

I''d also like help on how I would draw smooth inclinations, hills, mountains and such using isometric tiles.
Check out the topic "Large Isometric Tileset Availalbe", it should help.

mat williams
Lead Programmer, Designer
Zero Sum Software
www.zero-sum.com
mat williamsLead Programmer, DesignerZero Sum Softwarewww.zero-sum.com
Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but you''ll also need to learn about pixel formats... you''ll find a lot of programs and OSs dumb things up (millions or thousands of colors) where your art considerations should be precise... you''ll likely be working with 8-, 16-, or 24-bit color image maps. You''ll likely want to go with BMP (or TGA?) formats since they are the most widely supported (in case you port your game to other OSs). Keep your artwork dimensions in powers of 2 if possible (16x16, 64x64, 256x56, etc) because many video cards work optimally with square or rectangle textures with those sorts of dimensions.

Use this link... it''s one of the best sources (and well explained) of any I''ve read, concerning isometric engines.

Good luck!

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org
Thank you all for your replies

I tried to find the topic that you recommend Thathmew, but I couldn''t find it in this isometrics Forum.

Thanks Matrix, I''ll read the web site and see if I get a better idea of isometric engines. Your advise are really helpful. I''ll make sure all art work is in the size of multiples of 2. I was going to use PICT format (Mac only) for art, but considering we might port it to Windows, I''ll have to reconsider what format we should use.
Just show all topics from the past 30 days and you should be able to find it.

the most relevant link is to our tileset which is free to use as long as we''re given credit.
(1.5 megs)

Tiles.zip

Lots of tiles and a few examples of how things can fit together. They''re 256 color, but could easily be converted to other formats.

luck,

mat williams
Lead Programmer, Designer
Zero Sum Software
www.zero-sum.com
mat williamsLead Programmer, DesignerZero Sum Softwarewww.zero-sum.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement