• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FatboYgw

Software mode?

This topic is 6513 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, new to the forum. Just wondering... is there any way to actually specify that you wish to run in software mode? If so how do you do it? Thing is, my OGL proggies run fine at home on my GF2, but when I want to show them off at college (where the machines have no hardware 3D) they run exceedingly slow. My window context code is only a slightly modified version of nehe''s tutorial code. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Ok I just completely contradicted myself... if there's no 3D hardware then the program would be running in software mode anyway

But IS there a way of specifying software mode (ie. I run it at home and it ignores my Geforce)?

Edited by - fatboygw on January 16, 2001 7:59:26 AM

I added the PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT flag to the pixelformat, but it didn't work... got any code for using software mode specifically?

----
Gareth Williams
fatboygw@lineone.net
----

Edited by - fatboygw on January 19, 2001 4:03:41 PM

You could link to Mesa on both machines, that way you''ll be using the same software renderer at home and at college. Different implementations may have different methods for switching from hardware to software (Microsoft/SGI Reference/Hardware Vendor) but, if I remember correctly, they will try to use as much hardware as possible...

Of course, you will probably still see a difference depending on other hardware.

Well, it''s quite clear in SDK - ChoosePixelFormat ignores PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT flag.
You have to scan all pixel formats by yourself with DescribePixelFormat to find the good one (I''d say - the first format matching your requirements), and use it in SetPixelFormat.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!