The brain is weird

Started by
54 comments, last by AfroFire 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Stonicus
I picked asparagus. I didn't take it very seriously, I thought it was going to be one of those things that when ya click it a scary face pops up and blasts your speakers with a blood curdling scream. That was fun the first time I got caught by one of those.

Are you refering to that ghost car commercial?
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Advertisement
The purpose for the sixes, and saying them so many times was (in my opinion) trying to get your brain so focused on one thing (something different than vegetables) and moving quickly enough that when asked for a vegetable, you spit out the one you have most experience with - without the intermingling of trying to beat the system or randomly selecting from a group of vegetables.

For those who got something different, you are more familiar with that particular vegetable than you are a carrot, or you followed the instructions incorrectly (spent too much time thinking about various vegetables or landed on a non-vegetable response), or your brain doesn't function the way most people's brains function.

I think the exercise was supposed to be enlightening into the way the brain generally works. The brain is a tool, just like your senses and your feelings. It is useful to understand how each works, and how it is possible that each may mislead you.

When in a rapidly moving situation, it is often easiest for our brain to supply answers that are generally common and mainstream. The lesson we could take from it (if anyone cares) is that if we want original and insightful replies, a high-energy fast paced brainstorming session might not be the right path. If you learn how your brain works, you can use it more effectively. It is interesting how when asked for certain information, the brain can be tricked - in common situations - into giving incorrect answers.
I didnt even say a vegetable. I said "bread", although I typically think of wheat when I think of bread, which isnt really a vegetable, but it is an edible plant, like vegetables.

I also got 3 fs, but I counted really fast. Although I will keep in mind to pay atention to each letter instead of quickly reading next time. It is true you dont really notice the ofs so much when reading.

I am not sure how accurate these things are, as my iq tests put me well into genius range.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Saying six all those times made me think of a vegetable beginning with the s sound. And the first to come to mind was celery.

I'd seen things like the f thing before, but I still only caught one of the of's.
Crucible of Stars FPS is recruiting
I thought "pork chop", but only because I have OCD and repeatedly think of that word now. That's sad.
Basically, there is a infinite or practically infinite set of things, that includes things such as pluto and quicksort and special relativity, and fart of ant in some specific hive.-Dmytry
I thought "pork chop", but only because I have OCD and repeatedly think of that a lot at the moment. That's sad.
Basically, there is a infinite or practically infinite set of things, that includes things such as pluto and quicksort and special relativity, and fart of ant in some specific hive.-Dmytry
I wonder what vegetable other cultures would think of that usually don't consume carrots. I can't imagine they'd think of a carrot first.
I also thought of broccoli. Because I hate it.

-Greven
Heh. Carrots and 3 Fs.
Came up with banana.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement