Time shift graphics?

Started by
10 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 2 months ago
I have played the time shift demo. The game looks really cool. However, I noticed that the main character does not have too many polygons, compared to doom or fear for instance. Why is that? Thanks in advance. [Edited by - The C modest god on February 13, 2006 4:01:39 AM]
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
...because their character modellers didn't make it that way?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I found the graphics to be sad. They tried to use different rendering techniques, like parallax mapping, air distortion from fire, HDR, ect......but executed it very poorly. Plus it does not run well on a 6800 ultra, which is sad. I thought games like FarCry and HL2 look FAR superior and ran on slower hardware.

Plus the gameplay just sucks.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
It was most likely a performance optimization, and they hoped the other effects would offset the lack of geometric detail.
except, as oconnellseanm said, the game runs terribly on even good graphics hardware. I have a 9800pro and a very good system overall, have no problem playing HL2 on near the highest settings (FEAR runs pretty damn well too) but the Timeshift demo runs terribly if I have anything above the lowest settings turned on. Not sure why this is, but I hope the final version of the game runs a little smoother
Quote:Original post by Morpheus011
except, as oconnellseanm said, the game runs terribly on even good graphics hardware. I have a 9800pro and a very good system overall, have no problem playing HL2 on near the highest settings (FEAR runs pretty damn well too) but the Timeshift demo runs terribly if I have anything above the lowest settings turned on. Not sure why this is, but I hope the final version of the game runs a little smoother

Exactly, what's with that? I have a 3GHz with 1GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9600xt 128Mb graphics card, and when I started up the demo the rendering was fine, except when it attempted to accept user input at the same time. Every time I moved the mouse it would take a maybe 1/4 or 1/2 a second before the game reacted to the input.

I had to down the resolution and it was still dodgy. I played it for 5 mins and got rid of it. Nothing like that happens with HL2 which I would rather play because the graphics are much better.

The same thing happened with the demo of Starship Troopers. I had to turn half the video settings almost right to the bottom before the game was reacting properly to the input.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
I have another question,
Why the hell the demo takes 330MB? Also, many 3D games takes as much as 1 or more GB. Why is that? It shoulld take a lot less space then a 2D game that saves all the sprites. I don't understand why it takes so many MB.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Textures and sounds, mainly.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Textures and sounds, mainly.

300MB may contain 1600 uncompressed textures of 256x256 with 3 bytes for each pixel.
If you compress them with a lossles compression you get about 3200 textures, with a lossy compression you would get about 12000 textures.
Do you really think the game has more then 1000 256x256 textures?
No. I do, however, think that it has a significant number of 512x512 textures with seperate colour and normal maps (at the very least - there may be other maps in place as well). I'd expect most if not all of them to be DXT-compressed; some will be three-channel, some will be 1-bit alpha, and some will be 8-bit alpha.

And you seem to have only read half of my sentence. A single second of uncompressed 16-bit 44khz sound takes up around 85 kilobytes. A half hour of that is 150MB. Your average game has more than a half hour of sound...

Just as a quick examination: The total space taken up on my machine by the full version of Double Fine's Psychonauts is 3.75GB. Of that, about 1.7GB is cutscenes, 921MB is sounds, and 1GB is the level files (geometry + textures).

If you really care about knowing why Timeshift is so big and you're not just looking to complain about something, why not try and figure out the roles of the data files in the game's directory and their relative sizes?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement