• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaulJ

My First Game!!!

24 posts in this topic

Hi, I just finished a test demo of my first freeware game. I''m hoping to get some input from others on what I could do better to improve this game. Im still working on improving the AI and stuff. check it out at: http://members.home.net/129561/LS.html Thanks PaulJ

That''s cool, did you code all the graphics routines yourself or use some sort of library? Very nice.

I wrote all the graphic routines. I''m currently updating and improving collision and AI, then I will work on levels and Boss like characters with different weapons. I''m glad you liked the Test demo. This is a big learning experience for me and I want to make games that are fun to play.

thanks

PaulJ

I tried downloading several times... it ''finishes'' at 67K of the 300 some-odd K...

.travois.

Congratulations, not bad. Damn sight more than I''ve done.

Now that you have proven to yourself that you can write a game, what next?

D.V.

--------------------------
Carpe Diem

Hi,

About that download problem I''m very sorry that you are having trouble downloading. I have checked everything over and cant figure out what the problem is everything seems to be working on this end. Try it again and see if you can download it.

What''s next? hehe thats a good question Carpe. Im thinking of completely finishing this game first than try making some more freeware. I find my hardest problem is game designing and coming up with good ideals for games.

thanks

PaulJ

Very nice.
I did have some trouble aiming, though.
Maybe you can but a little helpfile in the download (or even better: in the game) to explain the controls and stuff.
What language, compiler, etc. did you use?

Jedyte

hi,

I think you are right, I should of put directions on how to play the game since the controls even took me some time to get use to. I used Micosoft Visual C++ to Code game and Paint shop pro 6 for the art work. I''m a terrible artist and would be in trouble without a good paint program

PaulJ

I tried downloading it several times but it ended at 60-200k of 300k everytime so I couldn''t try it...

No game will ever rule more than CBT!

Mmmm....

Your the second person that has told me they wasnt able to download the file. I will try to put up an updated version of the game and see if that helps.

PaulJ

Wow!

I have deleted the old file and put up an updated version and downloaded it myself atleast 5 times to make sure the file can be downloaded and ppl are still having problems downloading can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong?

PaulJ

I downloaded it. I had to download about 50K at a time, and keep closing the file and resuming it to get it to work.

A couple questions regarding gameplay:

(1) Do enemies die with one bullet, or do they take multiple hits? It takes a while for them to go down, and I was wondering if this is meant to happen (enemies have hit points), or if there are errors in the detecting of bullet/enemy collisions. If the first, I recommend some signal (whether thump sound, or enemy animation) of being hit.

(2) Could we be able to shoot diagonally in future demos?

All in all, this is not bad. If you really would like to work with a graphics artist (not that the graphics are really terrible), this demo would prove that you mean business-- thus some replys from qualified GameDev''rs.

Looking forward to future versions! Good job!

.travois.

Hi Travis,

Sorry about the downloading I cant seem to figure out what the problem is. To answer your questions the enemy soldiers do have hit points so it will take a few hits to kill them I was thinking about lowering their hitpoints after I added bosses to tone them down a bit and im working on a damage animation and sound effects. Shooting diagonally in the future is something that I will be working on and thinking alot about I would love to be able to shoot in a 360 degree spread.

Thanks

PaulJ

I liked your game. I found that the controls were ok,But the aiming needs work (I have a suggestion, why not put cross-hairs in?). It was surtinly better than I could do at this point. I am just starting a course on Visual C++.

-----------------------------
-------Mitch Mulholland------
----A.K.A.= TwisteR----------
-----------------------------

I tried a few times, after 133kB the download bar fills up even though it only says 34%.

PaulJ

Nice game, really good for your first time around.

I had to download it twice to get it to finish all the way but it worked fine.

I just was wondering, it seemed like I could only through a grenade at certain times I wasn''t able to hit any bad guys with the grenade =( but I''m sure you have a reason or will fix that.

Good Game
Gimp

Hi GimpMaster,

The controls for throwing a grenade are kind of weird and takes sometime getting use to. To throw a grenade first hold down the space bar then hit any direction key. Im working on all the levels now and I have corrected the collision detection for the grenades and tweeked the game some to make it more playable.

Thanks

PaulJ

Paul
u should get some free web space from a few different places and put the demo file on them, this way there are a few different places the people having trouble d/l can try

Hi DarkenMerlin,

I took your advice and have the file available for download at the folling locations.

http://www.geocities.com/lsoldierus

http://www.members.home.net/129561/LS.html

and I have entered the Game in the GD Showcase on this Site.
Lone Soldier 1.0

Enjoy

PaulJ