Binary vs Web GUI

Started by
1 comment, last by AlgorithmX2 18 years, 2 months ago
Does anyone have and links to document that describe the consideration you would have to make in deciding wether to use a web or binary based GUI as the front end in to a system. Simple answer is of course that the web platform can be agnostic of platform and doesn't require the distribution of a binary. Given that these constraints are not very important what advantages does a web based GUI offer over a binary. From my experience it's just sluggish performance. Thoughts?
Chris Brodie
Advertisement
Hmm well first i'd say that the web based GUI can be accessed from anywhere if its made public.

Binary must be installed and configured on every system that intends to use the program, whereas with a web based gui you just point your web browser at the address assuming its already configured on the server.

security is probably higher with a web based gui since the end user never has any assembly to work with if they intend to crack it.

The profromance thing can be a huge problem, haveing to load/update and deal with the webbrowsers can be a pain particularly. I remember playing a web-game once and half the time I hit a button the action failed or something because my request timed out or something... Also the real time behavior of binaries is a big bonus.

I seek knowledge and to help others whom seek it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement