Wierdest problem ever....

Started by
8 comments, last by Will F 18 years, 2 months ago
I'm running WinXP Prof. SP1. Been playing poker on PokerStars for about 2 months and never had a problem with it. So last night I was playing before i went to bed and when I wake up the next morning to sign on, the connection process just times out. I figure the network is down so I wait until next day and try again, with the same result. Then I try to connect from my laptop and it works perfectly fine. Both boxes are behind a firewalled router but there's no software firewall on either machine. I've run into something similar before though where I couldn't connect to certain networks on a box while it works fine on others. That time i solved it by reinstalling my box. But I'm just not in the mood for that now. So anyone ever experienced this? I'm grateful for any help. Thanks.
Advertisement
Run Adaware and Spybot S&D. Also, is there some reason you are still using SP1?
Thanks. I did run adaware but i'll run spybot now.

Reason I'm not using SP2 is because i once installed it on an already messed up box and it messed it up even worse. Guess I just had a bad first impression.
No result, any other ideas?
Quote:Original post by branhield
Reason I'm not using SP2 is because i once installed it on an already messed up box and it messed it up even worse. Guess I just had a bad first impression.
Patching corrupted system files making things worse? That's hardly surprising... [rolleyes]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I'd recommend resetting the router. Every now and then (like twice a year) my router acts up and restricts certain addresses or other wierd stuff. A simple power down & up usually solves it right up.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Yea i tried that as well. I even reset it to factory settings. Rebooted my access point as well. I even tried changing the routers hw adress to get a new WAN IP. The problem shouldn't be at that level though as it works on all my other machines. :(
Wait, your internet works fine, it's just the logon for Poker Stars that isn't working? That is very strange. Did you try clearing the history/cache of your web browser? If your using IE, try Firefox. If your using Fiefox, try IE. See if that works(just to try and narrow it down to the web browser). If it doesnt work on both IE and FF then maybe something wrong with other internet settings?
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
I'm not connecting thru http but using their client software. I did reinstall the client multiple times, erased all the settings, and I even tried installing it to a different location. And you're right, it IS very strange indeed.
I'm getting ready to take the cowards way out. Backing up my files now.
You really shouldn't use SP1. If it's possible for you to update to SP2 and all the latest security patches you'll be a lot safer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement