How to decompile a .dll?

Started by
22 comments, last by Ysaneya 18 years, 1 month ago
Are there any programs in existence that can do this? I don't need the original function names or variable names or comments or anything.
Advertisement
So, what is it you want precisely?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Your average disassembler. W32Dasm for example.

(before you all start telling me that its a crap one, I know there are better ones, but I like w32dasm for being small and easy to use.)
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis
Well I have an engine hook, which is just a dll injector that comes with a dll. I want to change a few things around in the dll rather than figure out how to write a new one from scratch.
Quote:Original post by Midnight Blue
Well I have an engine hook, which is just a dll injector that comes with a dll. I want to change a few things around in the dll rather than figure out how to write a new one from scratch.

Well, learning how to make an injection using a DLL will be alot quicker then learning how to disassemble and recode an exisiting one. :p
Quote:Original post by Zorak

(before you all start telling me that its a crap one, I know there are better ones, but I like w32dasm for being small and easy to use.)

I'm pretty sure the dll was written in C++ and not assembly. But i'll google that and download it anyway, who knows maybe i'll need it some time.

Well, learning how to make an injection using a DLL will be alot quicker then learning how to disassemble and recode an exisiting one. :p

I already know how to make the injection, and I already have the injector. But I have no idea how to code the dll i'm using, but i know if i saw the source code to an existing one i could figure out the things i need to change easily enough.

I already know how to make the injection, and I already have the injector. But I have no idea how to code the dll i'm using, but i know if i saw the source code to an existing one i could figure out the things i need to change easily enough.

Well, there you go then. You will have to do it in assembly though.

PS. Nothing really says you will be able to reassemble the disassembly though.

I'm pretty sure the dll was written in C++ and not assembly. But i'll google that and download it anyway, who knows maybe i'll need it some time.

It doesn't matter what language it was originally written in. By the time it reaches the DLL stage you only have assembly code. (Unless it's a .Net assembly, in which case it is possible to reverse engineer to higher level source.)

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Well, there you go then. You will have to do it in assembly though.

PS. Nothing really says you will be able to reassemble the disassembly though.

But I don't know assembly. [sad]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement