Good PC RPG?

Started by
46 comments, last by Steadtler 18 years, 1 month ago
So, here I have my laptop, and tons of time on my hands. What are some good RPG's for the PC? My computer is finaly showing it's age, so something 2D preferably. I've heard good things about the fallout series, but I'm not so keen on the naughty bits. What else is there? I'll play fallout if I have to.
Advertisement
i enjoyed baldur's gate 1 and 2. they'll run on fairly old hardware and i'm sure they're extremely cheap now.
This space for rent.
Morning's Wrath of course!
I've always been fond of the Avernum series (and the Exile series that preceded it, but that's rather old now). They're very old-school, so your computer should have no trouble. They're also shareware and cheap, so you can try 'em and see if you like them. I'm replaying Avernum 2 at the moment. The Geneforge series is also there; same deal, though I'm not as fond of it.

You may or may not consider Escape Velocity to be an RPG; in any case, Escape Velocity Nova is available for Windows machines (and allows you to access the previous two iterations through plugin packs, for free). Similar shareware+cheap price, though you're a bit more limited in what you can do without paying.

You also may not consider Diablo 2 to be an RPG (e.g. you might consider it to be finger exercise :) ). However, it's now old enough to be cheap and downright easy to run.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
You could just play FF7 for PC.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
You could just play FF7 for PC.

LOL, my laptop isn't that old. Will it run under XP?
Quote:Original post by KaptainKomunist
I've heard good things about the fallout series, but I'm not so keen on the naughty bits. What else is there? I'll play fallout if I have to.

If you can, get both 1 & 2. If you're only going to play one of them you might want to get 2 instead (longer, more complex, improved interface). But you really owe it to yourself to play one of them. They're so good that both are my favorite games ever, even though I'm not an RPG fan in general. They're one of those rare mature games aimed at mature people, IMO.

What do you mean by "naughty bits"?

Planescape: Torment is absolutely amazing if you can find a copy. Deeply weird and kind of brilliant. Same basic engine/gameplay as the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games but they take it in a completely perpendicular direction.
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex

Oh, and System Shock 2. If you tolerate old games, Ultima Underworld, far superior to any other RPG.
Quote:Original post by KaptainKomunist
LOL, my laptop isn't that old. Will it run under XP?
Yeah. You probably want the patch that enables D3D though; software rast is painful even now.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement