Font-Generator

Started by
5 comments, last by Raeldor 18 years, 1 month ago
I am looking for a font-generator which can export windows True-Type fonts to a bitmap and also generates sort of control-file containing char positions etc. I know there are some tools out there which are missing one important feature for me: generating "OUTLINED" fonts. Before i start to code myself such a font-tool i would like to know if there is already one out there.
Advertisement
Bitmap Font Generator
There are two very good tools that I know of

LMNOpc's Bitmap Font Builder
AngelCode's Bitmap Font Generator

Both allow you to take true-type fonts and generate supported textures with them, and are very solid products. I am not sure if the LMNOpc version is updated anymore, but it has been used in commercial games.

WHat do you mean by outlined fonts? Do you mean the individual fonts only have an outline and the inside is transparent? If you do, that is quite specific, and you would be lucky to find a completed product that supports this.

But, by using the ones I have mentioned, and using some alpha blending and scaling trickery, creating that effect in game shouldn't be too hard.

Hope these help you
Spree

With "outline" i mean the "hollow" effect. Specially in games its usefull to have an outer and inner color. The AngelCode tool cannt do that. I will check the other one.
Quote:Original post by publicmmi
With "outline" i mean the "hollow" effect. Specially in games its usefull to have an outer and inner color. The AngelCode tool cannt do that. I will check the other one.

If you can't find anything I have created a font maker that allows you to import a bitmap created in Photoshop or another package and select areas of the bitmap and mark them as being specific font characters. It then exports the information as a TGA file and an XML document containing the positioning information. This way you can use any font or nice outline/shadowing/drop shadow effects that Photoshop can provide in your fonts.

Let me know if you are interested and I will package it up for download.
I am definitly interested !
I could manage to produce some very nice fonts (effects) with "Photfiltre".
If your tools are not too big for e-mail: publicmmi@yahoo.com

Thx in advance !
I have posted the application up at http://www.codepuppet.com/fontmaker2.html. It's just a zip file containing the executable. I will update this later with a sample font. Have a play around with it, and in the meantime I will try and post up a quick tutorial video. Like I say, it's still a bit rough around the edges, but it's very functional, in fact I am using the fonts from it in my own engine.

Please let me know if you have any issues getting it running. If you find it useful, then I will probably put the finishing touches on it and have it available for general download. Maybe other people would find it useful too.

Good luck
Rael

[Edited by - Raeldor on February 28, 2006 8:54:04 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement