Sign in to follow this  

Simple cout error, could someone have a look.

This topic is 4304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I haven't done much C++ for a while but I thought that this would work.
cout << start_t + "\t\t\t\t\t" + start_x;

Where start_t and start_x are defined as float. However I get this error. error C2111: pointer addition requires integral operand I have been working in javascript for a while and I get the feeling that I am missing something stupid. Thanks in advance for any help with, Mark

You're tring to add together a floating-point number and a character array. You can only add together two strings, or a string and a character array. However, if you replace + by <<, it will work, since you're inserting a floating-point number in a stream.

To expand a little on what ToohrVyk said. In C++ you can represent strings in two ways, the best way IMO is to use the standard string class (std::string), but you can also just use a pointer which points to where in memory the string is.

By default when you have a string, like "\t" it will be a pointer to where the actual string is stored.

Since it's just a pointer you won't be able to add a number to it. What javascript does is, that it calls a function which translates the float to a number and then create one string from the float string and the actual string.

cout is a stream and support streaming all basic types like float, so when you stream a float into cout like this:
cout << start_t;
cout actually convert start_t to a string and then output it.
So this will work:
cout << start_t << "\t\t\t\t\t" << start_x;
Since cout then start by taking start_t, convert it, then it takes the string and then it takes start_x and convert it.

This topic is 4304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.