Sign in to follow this  

Heightmaps problem

This topic is 4298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I've got this problem with loading a heightmap as a RAW file using Visual studio .Net 2003 with DirectX 9, I've got a function for building a piece of terrain, using my customvertex structure. my problem is when I try to load in the heightmap file it doesn't seem to load in the values, and in turn crashes my application, can someone help me! This is what I've currently got to load my RAW file: bool GObject::ReadRAWfile(const char *RAWName) { std::vector<BYTE> in(NumVertices); std::ifstream inFile(RAWName, std::ios_base::binary); if( inFile == 0) return false; inFile.read((char*)&in[0], in.size()); inFile.close(); m_heightmap.resize(NumVertices); for(int i = 0; i < in.size(); i++) m_heightmap[i] = in[i]; return true; } m_heightmap is a std::vector<int>

It's not reading in the values because you don't tell it to. As far as I can tell, you only read in 1 character and then close the file.
If you want to read in binary files, I'd recommend the C method. The fread function is much more intuitive then the C++ counterpart.

sorry about this but I think I accidentally posted the same topic twice, I have solved it and actually I used the C method as it was alot simpler... thanks for your help anyways :D

This topic is 4298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.