Sign in to follow this  

Begginer complieing question help ( choosing one)

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi…I have a complier question…Lately a lot of compliers have been giving me errors or giving me problems, I need a complier that can do simple C++ complies.. ( like simple hello world programs and a little bet advanced then that) but you getr the idea im a beginner C++ peroson learning/studying it. Ive used code blocks and Microsoft visual 05 express compliers…And they all turned out to be making me mad(errors)…Altho I do think I screwed the codeblock one. SO does anyone have any more choices??

Well... unfortunatly you can't really blame the compiler. Both thse compilers will happily compile valid C++ code and reject invalid C++ code. You just need to write proper code!

Post specific problems here and people will be happy to help. But don't be disheartened, programming isn't easy!

Quote:
Original post by Jetto
Hi…I have a complier question…Lately a lot of compliers have been giving me errors or giving me problems, I need a complier that can do simple C++ complies.. ( like simple hello world programs and a little bet advanced then that) but you getr the idea im a beginner C++ peroson learning/studying it.

Ive used code blocks and Microsoft visual 05 express compliers…And they all turned out to be making me mad(errors)…Altho I do think I screwed the codeblock one.

SO does anyone have any more choices??

Dev C++

I was having trouble with Visual C++ Express. I know it's me just not understanding how to use the compiler, but with Dev C++ it was insanely easy to add additional libraries like SDL. VC++ Express had too much stuff to fiddle with.

While I'm sure Visual C++ Express can do wonders for a project, Dev C++ is great for learning on.

For simple things like Hello World, all compilers should be good enough to do that. However, Dev C++ is, as said before, much easier to install libraries with.

What errors where you getting with simple console applications? Chances are someone here will be able to help you with them.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
However, Dev C++ is, as said before, much easier to install libraries with.

If there is a devpak for that library. If not, there might be precompiled or project files (very often) for Visual Studio, in which case you can use Code::Blocks with VC++ 2003 Toolkit or VC++ 2005 Express.

It really isn't the compiler. You just need to try small specific things, and post the specific errors here on GameDev. People will help you get your command lines / make files / whatever working if you just give them info like:

What I am trying to do (often if you tell people what you want to acomplish they will tell you a better way than what you have thought of).

What I am using (platform, tools, and apis matter - and each reader only knows certain tools, so help them help you).

What it is doing (seemingly wrongly). BE SPECIFIC, error numbers, error text, line numbers, etc.

What you thought it should be doing.

Extra specific details to help debug the problem, such as small blocks of code or small text from you command lines ...

certain compilers are easy to get certain libraries / apis working on (cause people have already done it) ... but it's not a Compiler A is the one to use thing ... its a "I can tell you exactly how to do X, if you use compiler Y" thing ... so tell us what you want to do ... we'll recommend the tools.

Yhanks for the great support all. Howver I have tried for alleast an hour trying to make them work..I know my code workes cuz It got complied into Code::blocks and it worlked!!!!It was y first c++ code..( but that was before it got messed up)

Ill try em again sometime in teh fiuture and while im by no means a good preogrammer yet im studying it and trying to compile stuff///ill try to dl it and see what happenes also I will try on teh other compliers as well..

Thx.

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.