cost of running and maintaining a mmo

Started by
24 comments, last by Bogger 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by jungolaya
Quote:Original post by idinkin
Read this: http://www.igda.org/online/IGDA_PSW_Whitepaper_2004.pdf.

Holy Crap! Thanks dude...that's exactly what I was looking for!

The reason everyone's panties are in a bunch is because you could have easily found that information yourself, had you done research. A "bank manager" usually knows to do that. IGDA is one of the first places I looked.

Now, why couldn't anyone answer your question? Because you said you want to make "a mmo". Not what kind of MMO, not whether you're creating your own engine and hosting in-house, or whether you're using Ogre3D and Blender. You said your dev time will take a year, which either means you have no clue what you're doing or that you're good friends with John Carmack.

All I can give you is what it's costing me, and we're doing niche small budget with everyone working for free.

$25,000 for development and launch, including lawyers and accountant costs.
It isn't certain what the live bandwidth costs will be, but it's estimated to be $1 per player per month.

That's more an answer than you should get, Mr. "Dude" Bank Manager. ;p

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You might assume that you can just throw money at something (a MMORPG project) and get it done, but you would be wrong. It takes several key people (game designer, main programmer,network/cluster expert) who often have to have been doing the design for years ahead of the ramp up. A MMORPG is a fricken three ring circus and failure at any point (via misdesign) can sink it or delay it interminably. The design must be pretty much worked out ahead of time and planned to handle all the complicated problems inherant in an MMORPG. If you dont already have the key people lined up (and their design consolidated), dont expect to simply be able to buy them for this '1 year' project (it will take that long just for them to get their heads together to beat out the detailed design).

Quoted for Truth.
Winterdyne Solutions Ltd is recruiting - this thread for details!
No one has mentioned some of the most expensive portions of making an MMO.

Media creation- producing source art, in game models, game world, etc is very expensive on an MMO project.
Advertisement- without this, how will people know about the MMO? adverts are very expensive.

You said:
-develop a high-end mmo using a licensed engine (assuming 1 yr dev)

Does a licensed engine mean a middleware solution as well? The solutions out there are not cheap, and you maybe be suprised at how much is actually does cost.

Development of an MMO off a basic codebase in a single? Very possible. It will just fit in with most the other MMOs floating around with half the population they bottomlined in their plans.
The reason I didn't mention the art is because he hasn't mentioned what kind of MMO he's making. If he's decided to license the rights to Order of the Stick ( http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript ), then his art costs will be minimal. ;)

Really, the cost of the thing depends on what it is you want to make.
You might be interested in reading this: Creating your very own Massively Multiplayer Online (Role Playing) Game
(remember to check also the comments, there's information about the money issue...)
---Polycount Productions - An Indie Online Multiplayer Games CompanyGameProducer.net - Daily Ideas, Hints and Inspiration for Indie Game DevelopersIndie Game Sales Statistics - downloads, sales and other figures
Dude you can't create a high end MMO in one year. Just look at Wow it has been in develpmont for 3-4 years until it was realeased.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement