Creating my own Game Engine

Started by
1 comment, last by slowmike 18 years, 1 month ago
So far every game I've made was made from scratch (actually from my Framework) using C++ and DirectX. Now, that I'm leaning more towards 3D I've been looking into some of the more popular game engines out there. I'm currently running through the Ogre tutorials, and it seems like a pretty good engine (considering it's free). However, I'd really like to invest my time in creating my own custom built game engine. Is there a good book/site that'll help guide you through the process of creating your own game engine? Keep in mind that I don't want to just replicate the author's own engine, although I could just follow along while replacing his/her code with my own. I don't know. Whatever. [smile] Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Do a search on GameDev for Enginuity, which was a multi-part tutorial on engine design. It was pretty good if I recall.

Also, bear in mind that OGRE is merely a rendering engine, so you can still use it to handle the rendering portion of your game engine, which will unify many subsystems (of which rendering is one).

EDIT: Enginuity link: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/enginuity1/
I just read the first part of that Enginuity tutorial and I think it'll be useful. Thanks for the fast reply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement