• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[mdx] problem starting up fullscreen but not windowed

This topic is 4380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Had my game running for a long time largely stable but I tried to install it on a widescreen laptop today and came across an interesting problem. If I start it in fullscreen, I get an exception immediately
Error in the application.
-2146232832 (Unknown)
   at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Reset(PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
   at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.OnParentResized(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnResize(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnResize(EventArgs e)
   at DirectXGameClient.GraphicsSample.OnResize(EventArgs e)
However if I set it to start windowed, and then alt-enter it works fine. I have no idea if the widescreen (1280x768) on this laptop has anything to do with it but everything else is the same as dozens of other machines I have successfully installed this on. 9.0c, dx 1106, .net 1.1 etc. Any ideas? I've never had problems with alt-tab / alt-enter or anything before.

Advertisement
I guess you're attempting to load a resolution that isn't supported by the monitor. I'm not that sure about widescreens, but it's possible they don't support standard 4:3 resolutions.

You should make sure the device supports the resolution before attempting to use it, to avoid an exception.

Quote:
Original post by sirob
I guess you're attempting to load a resolution that isn't supported by the monitor. I'm not that sure about widescreens, but it's possible they don't support standard 4:3 resolutions.

You should make sure the device supports the resolution before attempting to use it, to avoid an exception.

that sounds reasonable. so alt-enter is doing something different than my fullscreen startup that i should to try copying (ie lowest resolution over my desired one or something?)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement