Sign in to follow this  

which audio lib?

This topic is 4309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, ok, got a simple game ap that used directX for the graphics and is compiled using visual studio. I want to add some audio - simple fx (wav, i guess - maybe mp3/ogg) and music (mp3/ogg). I need to play them with discreet volumes but apart from that, nothing fancy. can anyone recommend a lib? Someone suggested SDL-mixer but i can't figure out how to add it to my VC project - the download looks highly linux orientated? Maybe i'm missing something obvious with it. any suggestions? thanks tony

FMOD is nice, though there is a licensing cost if going commercial.

OpenAL is minimal, and causes lots of head ache sometimes due to poor documentation and poor error coding. Basically easy to set up though and there are samples about playing Ogg vorbis on it.

In addition to FMOD, you can also give a try to BASS (free for non commercial use) and audiere (free software, LGPL).

Of course, you can try to setup DirectMusic by yourself and use the ogg vobis library to get the data.

On a side note, try to target Ogg instead of MP3. MP3 is patented by thomson - and licensing informations are rather obscure when it comes to freeware of open source software (including games). Ogg is patent free and the audio quality is equivalent, so don't bother MP3 :)

Regards,

FMOD is pretty good, it's true. Alternatively if you're using a recent revision of DirectX and are planning to only target Windows platforms (or Xbox 360 though that sounds unlikely in this case!) I can thoroughly recommend XACT. Check the DirectX SDK docs for details.

Quote:
Original post by SunTzuor Xbox 360 though that sounds unlikely in this case!)

Actually, there is a plan..! But not yet. Surprising number of PS3 references in the docs too ;)

Anyway, thanks everyone. Am now up and running with FMOD and indeed it is very nice. Will have to write them a nice email regarding licensing ;)

thanks again,
t

This topic is 4309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.