I am very interested in learning to create something like this.

Started by
3 comments, last by jpetrie 18 years, 1 month ago
I am comfortable with C++ and know the very basics of directX. I very much want to learn to create the visual effects seen in these screen shots. Whare do I start? thanks
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Advertisement
If you are talking about what I think you are, It's called blooming. You take a copy of the frame, and gassiaun blur it, then you dodge blend it over the frame. The bright parts will glow and blur like that. Not sure how the best way to code it in directx is. I only apply the effect to images I make in paint programs, never coded it myself. [lol] At least now you know what to look up.
well Yes I am talking about that, but not just that. I want to learn all about rendering all types of visual effects. such as the lensing effect you see in the glass tubes and the blooms and prettymuch everything that adds realism to the the scene. Is there a book to get started or some internet resource? I understand that this is probably a larger undertaking than I am aware of. But I would like to find out formyself so whare do I go to find out?

thanks
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
You might want to check out Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX 8.0. I have not read it, but I looked through it and it teaches a lot of neat effects including lens flare.
You'll likely need more than a "very basic" understanding of D3D to pull many of these effects off well, and cleanly. You might want to work through the tutorials that are floating around (especially those related to using vertex and pixel shaders, because you'll need those for many of the effects you're considering) and possibly making a simple 3D game.

While you are at it, you can pick up or browse through books like GPU Gems or the Shader X books, which are the best "collection of graphics techniques" books I know of off hand. They contain a lot of interesting techniques (some of its pretty advanced stuff, however) though there is no single resource listing all the graphics techniques available. You just have to hunt around for information about a specific effect. For example, Google "glass rendering" or something similar if you are looking to implement the glasslike effect in that shot.

Digging through SIGGRAPH and NPAR papers can also be educational.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement