which is your favourite equation?

Started by
127 comments, last by silverphyre673 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by gumpy macdrunken
64 = 65

Everybody knows that one. There's a hole between the "triangles" in the second figure that adds up to exactly one square.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
Not sure if someone listed this, didn't feel like reading through 4 pages of equations.

Girls Require Time and Money
Girls = Time*Money

Time is money
Time=Money
Girls = Money^2

Money is the root of all evil
Money=sqrt(evil)
Girls=sqrt(evil)^2

Girls=EVIL!

Someone already said that, with a picture, no less. The main problem is that requiring isn't the same thing as equalling. It also misquotes the Book of Timothy, a closer translation is:

"x Î Evil . love(money) = √x
I like Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, mostly because it's of the same form as Coulomb's law, and they both work, I just think that's pretty amazing.
Quote:Original post by agi_shi
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
Quote:Original post by etothex

wow, a bug in google? horrible and amazing...

I mean google is really good - but can they really redefine mathematics??

0^0 has three correct answers, depending on how a grumpy mathematician feels a certain day: 'indeterminate', 'undefined' and '1'. So Google is [at least partially] correct.

Wow. C++ and C told me it's 0 :).

Did you use the ^ operator? In C++, ^ is the XOR operator not the exponentiation operator, so 0^0 in C++ does not mean 00.
Quote:Original post by Enselic
Quote:A simple counterexample is the principle argument function on the complex plane. This function does not tend to a limit at any point on the negative real axis, but it is most certainly defined there.

I am probably confused here as I am used to swedish mathematical terms, but if you refer to the 'angle' function arg z, then arg z = π for all numbers on the negative real axis.

Depends on which argument function we are talking about. Does yours have the same limit if you approach the axis in a clockwise fashion?

¨@_
Quote:Original post by NotAnAnonymousPoster
Quote:Original post by etothex
I suppose so - if you had to pin me down to a value 1 is a good assumption. After all, it fits the pattern x^0 = 1 and also works in other cases like the binomial theorem. So google squeaks by on this one :)

But mathematically, it really is indeterminant - for the function f(x,y) = x^y, the limit clearly does not exist approaching (0,0) and you can't magically make it so by adopting a convention.
I am puzzled by how many people use this argument, and it makes me wonder how they were taught maths. What you are saying here is that every function must tend to a limit on its domain, but this is not true at all. A simple counterexample is the principle argument function on the complex plane. This function does not tend to a limit at any point on the negative real axis, but it is most certainly defined there.

So basically you're saying that a function doesn't have to be continuous, or have double-sided limits, etc. That's like the first week of calculus class. I don't need people trolling about how I learned math, thank you.

I just gave an example of why 0^0 should be indeterminant, not a proof that it is. For a function as important as x^y, magically introducing a definition for (x,y)=(0,0), would imply discontinuity in the otherwise continuous and differentiable constant function f(x)=0^x, which is not really good at all. For the principal argument function, it's business as normal - for the power function, it doesn't fit the pattern.
I'll throw two out there:
Euler Identity:
Important property of the Dirac Delta Function:
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
f(u) = ...
Quote:Original post by Snaily
Quote:Original post by Enselic
Quote:A simple counterexample is the principle argument function on the complex plane. This function does not tend to a limit at any point on the negative real axis, but it is most certainly defined there.

I am probably confused here as I am used to swedish mathematical terms, but if you refer to the 'angle' function arg z, then arg z = π for all numbers on the negative real axis.

Depends on which argument function we are talking about. Does yours have the same limit if you approach the axis in a clockwise fashion?

The arg I am talking about is even continous on the negative real axis, so it is probably not the argument function he meant. I meant the complex argument function.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Quote:Original post by jperalta

The Riemann Zeta Function.

Oh, and what does that is useful for? :)

EDIT: Heh, I remember now.

[Edited by - owl on March 5, 2006 3:52:42 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement