Sign in to follow this  

The Dev Software for me

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been out of C++ for a few months, but my previous experience was using SDL and C++ to program some really simple 2D Movement/Animation Engine. Right now I really want to do something that isn't entirely inanely hard. So I have a few questions 1) SDL Licensing (LGPL) requires me to release the source code to my game once complete, correct? (I know that LGPL lets you keep your graphics) 2) I was considering Torque Game Engine, but I can't really "test" any code and see if I know how to use it, anyone have any experience? 3) What's the use of Torque Shader Engine? Does it replace Blender3D or 3DStudioMax? Is it something that greatly would help me develop levels, characters, items, and props more than Blender or 3DSMAX? Over the years I've studied C++ on and off, but I feel like I have a decent grip on programming (knowing about functions, classes,pointers,arrays...etc), any reccomendations?

Was that the specs? I remember going through the license a while back and it kindof made me look down because SDL rocks! Dunno, anyone know?

Quote:

1) SDL Licensing (LGPL) requires me to release the source code to my game once complete, correct? (I know that LGPL lets you keep your graphics)

You are misinformed.

Just dynamically link to SDL, and include the little SDL text file (the one you get with the DLLs) and you should be okay.

You do not need to include the source code to your game if you dynamically link to SDL. If you statically link, you must make it so users can re-link your code with a newer version of SDL. That basically boils down to releasing the object files.

Obviously, this is a simplification, read the actual GPL and LGPL for your rights and responsibilities...

Guest Anonymous Poster
LGPL would only require you to provide sources to changes to make to SDL (assuming dynamic linking).

TSE is the new version of Torque. It is not complete yet. Basically it's an overhaul of the shader engine (thus the name). Don't know why it's taking them so long to get it done. Many people say Torque is a turd anyway. Maybe that's why... if it's taking them that long to get it up to a modern standards imagine how difficult it is to work with.

Hmmh, So I would have to rebuild the liberary or modify it's source? What if I compile the app with C++ using it as a lib, and it creates the SDL dll, does that allow me to keep the source closed

#2 Anyone know real breifly what the sales policy of SDL is? Maybe I could package the book with the cd and sell that hmmh,

Thanks again everyone,

L o r e n

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.