• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
siwatson

OpenGL Context for Renderbuffer off-screen rendering?

This topic is 4672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I'm developing a web-based (Apache module) extension that I'd like to use OpenGL rendering for. The idea is that an HTTP request will be used to create a rendered bitmap which is returned in the response. I'd ideally like it to do all of its rendering off-screen, without being tied to any particular windowing system. I've looked at pbuffers but have concluded that EXT_framebuffer_object Renderbuffer is the way forward. I was under the impression that these new extensions are designed to operate independently of the underlying windowing system. However, the spec states "There is always one window-system-provided framebuffer, while application-created framebuffers can be created as desired." So, I'm a little confused and, in particular, am unsure how I should obtain/create a GL context to operate in. Do I still need to create a window to get a context? If so, this seems to remove one of the potential advantages of FBOs. I've seen pbuffer hacks where a window is created and hidden but I was hoping to avoid this. I'm currently developing on Win32 with GNU tools in the hope of being able to easily port the code to other platforms. Any insights/suggestions would be much appreciated. Simon.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!